Mugger: "Your self-importance or your life!" JW: "Hold on, I'm thinking..."

by Apognophos 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Just a short thought that I wanted to put out there. We all want to be "somebody". It's human nature. The religion gave us a chance to believe that the world revolved around our little lives -- our every thought and action was of cosmic significance in the battle between good and evil. Perhaps you know some truly die-hard Witnesses. Are they self-important over their identity as one of Jehovah's Witnesses? Would you say it is a major attribute of their personality, something that shows regularly in their behavior?

I think some JWs are unable to see TTATT simply because they cannot overcome the fear that, if the religion isn't true, they would suddenly become a nobody in the world. And so, sadly, they sacrifice their lives (usually figuratively, sometimes literally) in order to keep this feeling intact. Being a devoted JW doesn't tend to leave time for self-improvement, career advancement, saving up for retirement, etc. They've traded whatever chance they had to become someone in an uncertain world for the certainty that they matter in an imaginary world.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think some JWs are unable to see TTATT simply because they cannot overcome the fear that, if the religion isn't true, they would suddenly become a nobody in the world.

I find that to be especially true for some "appointed" men who without their "appointment" would simply be......nobody. It's all they have, and even moreso, it's often all their wife has -- being Sister So-and-So, an Elders Wife. They get home at in the evening and get to play dress up in their polyester suits with their ties that are too short.

They arrive at the KHall and get to boss around "lesser appointed men" and those who are still chomping at the bit hoping for their first promotion. Ah yes, they have all the answers in their secret book. Single sisters, widowed sisters, and sisters with UBMates admire these spiritual giants of men. They are BIG FISH in their own little pond.

Outside of the WT World or without their belief in the WT World, these men become nothing but the unskilled, uneducated, unsuccessful pawns adrift in the "world". Little fish. BIG POND.

Doc

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Apognophos - "I think some JWs are unable to see TTATT simply because they cannot overcome the fear that, if the religion isn't true, they would suddenly become a nobody in the world."

And no one more than the members of the Governing Body themselves.

x

Without the Watchtower Society, they'd have nothing.

They would BE nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit