Food tickets

by sloppyjoe2 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

Does anyone have a picture of the food tickets we used to use at assemblies?

• Simon
    Simon

No, but can you remember those weird Chocolate-like bars you could buy with them?

• blondie
    blondie

Item image

This is all I could find with Google.

• Simon
    Simon

Ours didn't have a value on, they were just '1 ticket'.

I think it was so they could change the price in future and also so you forgot how expensive some of the prices were.

Remember being encouraged to pre-order them at the KH and also getting to the assembly early so you could purchase enough food tickets? Sheesh ...

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I remember them both ways! We call them food stamps!

Dwain

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

I remember them with no value printed on them and being yellow in color.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I still have a bunch of the tickets. I'd have to dig them up.

• blondie
    blondie

They sold them in packets...I remember the yellow strips...there had to be some dollar/etc value assigned to them, I think each strip was $1 (US) and 5 in a single strip, and packets as well.

The value of each small strip had to allow making change (sic) based on the prices of the food; or everything had to be in increment of $1 prices.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What we had in australia were called scrips .? You bought them beforehand and if you didnt use them all up , tough . We were actually counselled for putting unused scrips in the contribution box , unused scrips were obviously of no value .Oh, and they always changed them so you couldnt use them at a future time.

smiddy

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Did you ever wonder why food service was discontinued?

Wasn't it supposed to be so everyone could enjoy the full program vs. having to work in Food Service and miss the sessions?

The reality is that there was the sales tax issue of "selling" food, thus the "free" food using tickets purchased with "donations" was attempted, but there was concern that policy could fail if challenged by any State's Dept of Revenue/Taxation. According to a JW Heavy who arranged the DCs, it was discovered that contributions remained the same regardless of whether food service was available or not. For example, typical JW budgeted $xxx for the Dist Conv. If it was spent on Food Tickets, they viewed that as a donation the same as putting cash in the contribution box. Thus, when Food Service was eliminated, typical JWs still donationed the same amount of funds. WTS actually came out ahead by NOT buying the food items.

Follow the money.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit