Worldwide Internet usage & WT hopes

by Syme 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Syme
    Syme

The following picture depicts every device in the world that's connected to the Internet.

Note that the areas that are significantly online are only the US, Europe and Japan. In other words, areas where the WT preaching has little effect nowadays, and we might add that they are in a phase of stagnation, if not shrinking.

What about the areas that experience the growth, aka South America and Africa? As you can see, they are far from being highly connected to the net.

Even China, in spite of the J-dubs' hopes that the "Website" will reach every Chinese person, we see that the Net usage is not particularly high, compared to the West, let alone the fact that jw.borg is banned there.

So, why all the fuss about the super-duper website that is going to advance the Jw preaching? It is clear from that map, that the GB's expectations from the Website (and the new TV) are a little bit too high. Unless they have another agenda, which they do: it is clear that all this website-hype has one practical (and reachable) goal: to keep the j-dubs in Western countries in the flock, and keep them occupied. There is not going to be any other significant gain from the Internet usage by WTS in the near future.

Every device in the world that's connected to the Internet

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Someone was saying the other week that most people in the third world at least have cell phones, but I don't know if they're capable of playing video, as from JW TV, or can only read text-oriented mobile sites.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Doesn't look like Santa has internet..poor guy.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I think the whole web pressence is mainly to get the 1st world members to think that the "whole inhabitted earth" prophecy has been fullfilled and armageddon must be imminent. Just this sunday one of the old-timers in my congregation made some comment about the website helping to fullfill that prophecy.

If they get a few new members in the process, they'll take it. by and large, though, non-jws will ignore the website just like non-mormons and non-scientologists ignore their websites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit