Common feature of religions: explaining life after death

by NAVYTOWN 7 Replies latest jw friends

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I am certainly no expert when it comes to the various religions that exist, but I notice most of them have a common feature. They almost all try to in some way 'explain' death or else state that death is not really the end. The bottom line is that in actuality NOBODY has any definite factual PROOF that we can live beyond the moment of our physical death. Religions dream up some very comforting myths about Paradise Earth, Heaven, Valhalla, Reincarnation, etc. All to make the 'horrible' idea of our eventual death easier to bear. What is really so scary about admitting that we really do not know if anything lies beyond the moment of death? If we just die and are gone forever, so be it. When you really think about it, what is so all-important about individual humans that they should somehow get to 'live forever'??? Isn't that the height of egotistical self-importance? Folks, it's 2014.....why are we still so overly concerned about dying????? Come up to Present Time and fully enjoy the life you have NOW.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The way i now look at it an after life either exists or does not.

If not why should i be afraid of something that doesn't exist?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am older than nearly everyone on here. When I die, within the next few years, I promise that if there is an afterlife, I will come back to haunt you, no sorry, I mean I will find a way to tell you.

Second thoughts, haunting you all sounds more fun.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I hope there is wine, wherever it is I am going.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Well, it just seems that religious people spend so much time worrying about DEATH that they forget how to LIVE. JWs are a prime example.....always moaning and groaning about today's life and dreaming of a future Paradise Earth where they will 'finally' be happy.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Religion has stunted our world's progress. We could have been gods by now....sort of.

Most of the advancements in science et al were achieved IN SPITE OF religion.

• prologos
    prologos

I am probably closely behind phizzy, having only a decade to go if my close ancestors are a gage, The disquieting thought I have is, that the closer I come to death the more pain, disabilty there will be. Not a nice way to go, even with medical techniques. The world does not need me. It , or a sliver of it, needed me, but no more. r

Religion gives the illusion that you are needed beyond death, or wanted, as if you are on the heavenly FBI list.

I have spend enough time knocked out, in anesthesia to convince me that there is no consciousness beyond body function. 'Under the knife', how would one more and fatal cut restore me to being aware?

So prologos Is, making the best for all, enjoying the ride.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

If everybody knew that they would get a good, healthy 80 years and then expire in their sleep, then I doubt there would be any fear of death and need for religion to posit a life after death. Life is uncertain, though. It's hard to be philosophical when someone's kid gets run over. They were alive for a short time and now they're not. How does a parent deal with that? In the past, life was harder and life spans were shorter because of violence, little medical care, and very high infant and childhood mortality. So it's easy to see why people had a need to believe that life would go on after death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit