Why tv.jw.org?

by pixel 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pixel
    pixel

Hello,

This is a question for people with web knowledge (I'm looking at you Simon :-)):

I'm wondering Why they named it tv.jw.org instead of something like jw.org/tv?

• pixel
    pixel

Bump?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm not as web-knowledgeable as Simon and some others here, but I don't think there's a meaningful difference on a technical level. But sites often use a subdomain to show that something is a significant and separate portion of the site. For instance, much of Apple's web site is in web pages under www.apple.com, but the online store is under the subdomain store.apple.com. Maybe it's easier to run a separate subdomain off a separate server in order to offload traffic from the main subdomain.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wonder if it's to do with what people search for?

People are more likely to search for 'TV' than 'JW'.

• pixel
    pixel

Thanks

• southwest
    southwest
    On a technical level, it is just simpler to run the entire TV operation through a subdomain like this. They can route all traffic directly to the JW TV servers, and so heavy load on the tv.jw.org site would not affect jw.org itself.
  • mynameislame
    mynameislame

A fairly simplified explanation as I understand it:

A url is like a map or directions  to a server then to a directory on that server. 

The stuff with the dots are the directions to the server. Each entry is essentially a server and each server knows about the next server down the line. It works from right to left. 

i.e. for  tv.jw.com   your browser searches for the com server then asks com where jw server is then asks the  jw server where tv server is.

The slashed entries are directories on the server and works from left to right.

So if it were jw.com/tv there would be a directory called tv on the jw.com server.

The http or https part tells the browser what language to expect.

I've never figured out what the www is for but  you generally no longer  need to use it in most cases.

So jehovahs-witness.com will bring you to the same place as www.jehovahs-witness.com

*edit, i had the right to left search order backwards switched both

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    When I saw the thread title, I thought it was asking, "why is the WTS dipping their toes into TV broadcasting?"
  • pixel
    pixel
    lol at Vidiot. Thanks for the replies everybody.
  • cappytan
    cappytan

I'm trying to explain this in layman's terms.

tv.jw.org is considered a "subdomain."

A Domain Name Server (DNS) is a computer that tells your web browser where to find the information for that URL you typed in.

You can tell the DNS to point people that type in to tv.jw.org to a certain computer (server).

However, if someone types in jw.org/tv, everything contained on jw.org/tv is on the same server as everything else on jw.org

Video takes up a lot of disk space and bandwidth. They likely needed to have a separate server for the traffic to tv.jw.org which is why it wouldn't be possible to make it jw.org/tv.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit