THREE REASONS WHY MODERN CHRISTIANITY IS A MYTH

by Tiresias 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jgnat - "Myths are handy."

Oh, totally.

When done right, they make great movies.

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Terry,

Thank you for the site. Lots of fun!

Your post reminded me of a statement by adult educator Jack Mezirow: "Our interpretations are fallible and are often predicated upon unreliable assumptions" (p.35). The goal of transformative learning involves "a critical examination of the history, context, and consequences of their assumptions and premises" (p.225). I believe this forum has the potential to foster this kind of analysis.

Bye for now!

T

Reference:

Transformative Dimensions of Adult Learning (1991)

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Crazyguy,

The social-science commentary I quoted above states: "Bible translators and interpreters are essentially anachronistic when they assert that the New Testament Greek word "Ioudaios" means Jew and that "Ioudaismos" means Judaism in the sense of Jewishness." The authors submit that "Ioudaios" means the behavior typical of and particular to those from Judea." They quote the late second-century Roman writer Cassius Dio, who described all people living in Palestine as Judeans (p.4).

When used by Israelites, the binary term Judeans and Greeks applied as follows: "Judeans refers to Israelites resident in Judea, Galiliee, Perea, and nearby cities with high Israelite population (Antioch, Damascus, Alexandria). "Greeks" were Israelites in Roman Hellenistic cities with low Israelite populations" (p.371). To Hellenized Israelites, Judeans were "barbarians," "weak," and uncivilized.

The Scripture4all online interlinear translation of the scriptures accurately renders the term "Jew" as Judah-an.

T

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

To All,

I want to clarify that my opening post is in no way intended as an invective against Christianity. Rather, I acknowledge the contributions of derivative Christianity to democracy, health care, and human rights. Were it not for ersatz Christianity, we would not have food banks, labor activism, adult education, hospitals, and many other altruistic institutions. Men and women from diverse religious persuasions suffered and died for the quality of life many of us now enjoy.

What I hope to foster is an analysis of the lenses through which modern Christianity was conceived. I wish to foster critical thinking, not cynicism. Notwithstanding what I allege about the refraction of biblical light through the ages, I do believe that the Bible remains the highest peak in the mountain range of literature which may be called "great."

T

• jgnat
    jgnat

Re: The highest peak which may be called "great".

That kind of kills any wisdom that we have come up with since, doesn't it?

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Jgnat,

I'm not sure I understand your statement.

Could you please elaborate and provide an example?

Thank you!

T

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think the work of Victor Frankl is great. It may even surpass the wisdom in the bible. Sure, Frankl's faith is built on the work of others, but that makes the bible a foundation rather than a "peak". Similarly the work of Florence Nightingale in the area of hygiene and patient care has prevented untold deaths and suffering, more than Jesus was able to accomplish in his lifetime.

I have pondered that by elevating the bible above all other literature and declaring revelation as complete, it demotes all wisdom acquired since, such as women's and children's rights, jurisprudence, and democracy.

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Jgnat,

Thank you for the reference to Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning." I am referring to my copy as I write. I love how Frankl speaks of the Meaning of Life: "What matters…is not the meaning of life in general, but rather the meaning of a person's life at a given moment (p.108). "One should not search for an abstract meaning of life. Everyone has his own specific vocation or mission in life to carry out a concrete assignment which demands fulfillment" (p.109). Interesting how Frankl says "decent people will always remain a minority" (p.154).

I note that both Florence Nightingale and Victor Frankl were influenced by the Bible--even though the former was critical of organized religion. Frankl alludes to the scriptures on several occasions (pp.39, 89). Note also his reference to God on page 93.

My "mountain peak" metaphor was not intended to cast a shadow over the accomplishments of women and men like Nightingale and Frankl. I merely suggest that--for me--the Bible exemplifies how decent men and women often risked their lives to condemn the abuse of power and to champion the rights of the downtrodden. But in the context of my opening post I am suggesting that the Bible be approached, not as a prophetic, but as an historic work, an anthology of ancient Israelite literature.

Bye for now!

T

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit