TV.JW.Org - Expense?

by passwordprotected 13 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

There's no doubt that the WTBTS isn't sparing the hard-earned donations from the R&F on its latest trial of JW Broadcasting.

This screenshot I took from the "behind-the-scenes" is just one of many examples of top-end tech gear being used in this endeavour.

behind the scenes at tv.jw.org

Why does this guy need HarmanKardon speakers when he's using CAD software...and note the iPhone. This guy's a Bethelite?

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Jesus: didnt have a place to lay his head. GB: has own tv show with cool apple gadgets

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Yeah, I picked up on all of that too. That equipment and studio must have cost MILLIONS of $$$, just for the equipment!

Right now, I had just watched about the first 20 minutes, and I'm so stunned that I'm at a loss for rational human thought. I can't believe what I'm seeing. This religion is a total sell-out. The old WatchTower is DONE. The re-branding of the old-time WatchTower is now complete with the JW.org and JW Broadcasting facelift. This must have been what it was like back if you were a Bible Student, and then Booze Rutherford took complete control, threw out what he wanted, and re-named the religion "Jehovah's Witnesses." No wonder so many people left back then, and I can imagine some of the old timers leaving now.

I swear, picking Lett to start the show is like having Clarabell the Clown open for Howdy Doody. Freakin' retarded. The simplistic, monotone, simple-minded way in which this man speaks is an insult to anyone with a broadcasting background or education. (like myself; my father was in radio and I had my FCC license by age 12).

As I said....I'm really just stunned at this point. My parents must be spinning in their graves. The GB are however going to create an endless buffet of stupid quotes, meme's, and facial expressions.

How many Kingdom Halls could this have built? How many meals could have been provided to widows and orphans? How many soup kitchens open? JW's have ZERO soup kitchens, food banks, shelters, AA centers, hospitals, or JW-owned nursing homes.....BUT, they have their own television stuido? Total sell-outs, and Jesus has got to be doing a gigantic face-palm at this FARCE of a religion now!

- Wing Commander

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

WT cost/benefit formula:

One super duper TV studio

-or-

5,000 new Kingdom Halls in any-number of-third-world-countries-of-your-choice.

The final decision was a GB no-brainer.

Note that jw.tv is broadcast only in English. So much for reaching out to the disenfranchised (read: nothing to donate to WT) crowd.

"Yet, a 1984 study showed that, for the most part, TV evangelists "reinforce people already committed to evangelical religion." W 11/15/86

jw.tv isn't designed to gain converts...its sole purpose is to keep the captive JW more captivated.

• RobertT18
    RobertT18

And holy shit! They are using very expensive graphic tablets. They cost around $2000

• button_masher
    button_masher

My estimates:

Video switcher - $30,000, maybe a bit more if they got a package, which it loks like they did.

Studio Camera - $40,000 x 3

Remote Control Unit - $6000 x 3

Camera Control Unit - $11,000ish depending on the model x 3

Camera Pedestal (what looks like a tripod) - $12,000 x 2

Rasterizer - $10,000 depending on the model

Camera Jib - $9000ish

Thats just from what i could see. There's more gear in there. I'd estimate the cost at just under 3 million for the gear.

• RobertT18
    RobertT18

And let's not forget software licensing fees.

• j dubb
    j dubb

and bandwidth. Anyone know who they are getting bandwidth through?

• RobertT18
    RobertT18

Their cloud/ server CDN bill most be very expensive.

• Emery
    Emery

I work with much of the same equipment as a front-end developer, so I could attest that it's definitely top of the line, no question. Outside of using Apple -- which I will always recommend for this kind of work -- everything else seems to be overkill. They don't need harmon kardon speakers or poster sized digital screen wacom tablets, that's just ridiculous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit