They acted without 2 witnesses

by Sirona 40 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Matty
    Matty

Good point Simon, I didn't really think of that perspective. I guess there are occasions that you simply can’t avoid being alone with a child.

All I can say is, putting my Nick Ross Crimewatch hat on, these sorts of incidents are very rare, so sleep well and don't have nightmares!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey non,you poor,poor pediphile protecter.Small children do not lie about being molested.It will be a good day when dirt bags like you can be delt with in an appropriate way along with the pediphiles you protect...OUTLAW

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

That bothered me too..."They acted without two witnesses"---and yet they did.

It's Silentlambs all over again. If I understand correctly, the parents went to the elders first. That means these children were interrogated by UNTRAINED INEXPERIENCED men; that means that a possible molester was interrogated by UNTRAINED INEXPERIENCED MEN.

Now the job of the police and the social services is made twice as hard; but the defense attorneys job is made TWICE AS EASIER.

And if it's very obvious that one of the parents is GOING TO THE POLICE no matter what, why wouldn't the elders jump up and put on a concerned act. What have they got to lose?

Ho Hum, just another day in the cult.

I don't think much is going to change untill we put the Governing Body or the Service Committee in jail.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

My thinking is along the lines with PathofThorns. Yes, Child Molestation is a horrible thing and children should be protected, however, not a the price of possibily ruining the reputation of an individual that may be innocent. The cavalier additude that the life of the accused doesn't matter is a dangerous one.

Besides, if the accused is married with children, this also extremely painful for the whole family. This includes the children who are then branded with having a molester for a parent without a proper investigation or trial. Don't they matter? I believe elders need to tread carefully when it comes to informing the congregation. However, if there is a trial, and a guilty verdict is rendered, then the gloves should come off.

Yes, children have been known to make false accusations with disasterous results. I know there was a case like this in Bakersfield,Ca. Two boys, brothers told stories of horrific abuse done to them by several adults. The "abusers" were sentenced to long prison terms. As the years went by, and the boys became teenagers, they recanted their testamony. Claimed none of it ever happened. They just wanted to appease the therapists and attorneys. Being so young they didn't realize the cost of their accusations.

Plus, there is the infamous McMartin Preschool Trial. It was the most costly case ever tried in US history. Just do a web search. It defines witchhunt, ruined reputations, and lives.

It seems that in this case the proper thing was done. That is a good thing. The police were informed. Let them handle it from here. I'm sure without an announcement, the rumors will fly through the cong anyway.

Isn't that the point of all the work done by Silentlambs? To inform the police immediately and not cover up accusations of molestation as to tarnish the reputation of the Org? To allow the police handle the investigation?

It seems it was done, at least in this case, and the elders should be applauded.

Andee

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

No, what bill wanted is NOT done in this case.

1) go to the police FIRST. They are trained and expereinced investigators.

2) The child should be interrogated by a TRAINED EXPERIENCED person FIRST, social worker or police, who are trined to decide whether that child is in a safe environment and whether the primary caREGIVERS can OR will PUT THE CHILDREN FIRST. If the cargivers are trueblue JW's who care too much about Watchtower/congregation reputation/possible shunning-expuulsion/ then that child needs to be removed from the home, although usually the caregivers can be counseled and will agree to put the child first. (don't hold your breath tho--"Theocratic warfare" comes to mind.)

3) The accused needs to be interrogated by TRAINED AND EXPERIENCED person FIRST..social workers or police. The accused has rights before the police and social workers they do not have in the religious community. Also, if the elders and parents and other lay persons 'get to' the child and the accused FIRST, the defense lawyers will have a filed day.

Perhaps a re-reading of the original post and/or a visit to Silentlambs is in order for those who STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND. It took me awhile to get it all straight too.

GO TO THE POLICE FIRST!!!!

• Bang
    Bang

Your talking about a child who -

1) Has been taught that to lie for the 'right' reasons is divine.

2) Has heard that there are evil pedophiles 'among them'.

3) Thinks that God is guiding her.

4) Trained to think themself so special that everyone else deserves to die.

Who knows if the child's lying? The child sure doesn't.

They've done it to themselves, if an expert says 'not guilty, it's a mistake' they'll probably blame the child.

Bang

Have to blame someone - just not themselves - it's the jovy Way.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Amnesian:

I don't thinkthe first accusation of molestation (apparently 6 years ago) was from a child in the congregation. The elders didn't have that child as a witness so there was only one witness on this occasion. It was the accused mother who brought the previous allegation to light (she'd felt guilty about not informing the cong. previously).

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

Bang, the child is 4 years old. They were in a bedroom together, and she described exactly what he did.

Sirona

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

• raven101
    raven101

While I agree it could really suck if the guy turned out to be innocent, I would think he would file a defamation suit if he is proven innocent, because it almost certainly would mean the parents had manipulated the child into making the statement, which in turn is child-abuse and could carry further legal and what is more even criminal complications for the parents.
    That said,

I definitely think a close knit organization with presumably familial overtones would be obliged to relay this information as soon as the formal accusation was made, if not before.

If anyone is of the opinion that they firmly believe the opposite I encourage you to answer this question honestly for yourself;

If someone newly married into your family (or had other inimate access to your children) was accused by your 4yr old niece or nephew of this crime . . . and your other nieces and nephews, your own children, were regularly around this person . . . would you not make sure everyone whose responsibility was the health and welfare of your most beloved children, were aware that there was a potential concern?

We are talking about an issue that is of the utmost concern, the welfare of children, innocent children who have only you to count on for their safety and security in the world . . .

could anyone honestly say they wouldn't make sure everyone in their family were aware of a potential danger?

raven101

• raven101
    raven101

By the way it is the established opinion in the current field of psychology that children at that stage in life are not capable of the of the abstract type of intellectual forethought that would be necessary to concoct a fabrication of this intent WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!

And as far as being careful not to be in a compromising situation with a child, I am a young woman, yet I will not address a child who is alone in public . . . why? . . . because I don't think it is wise or responsible to encourage children to talk to strangers!!! I love children and often have to stop myself from addressing a child in a situation which could put them in jeopardy if I were somone who was NOT a nice person!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit