607 BC Discussion - JW Podcast

by God_Delusion 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Hi guys & gals,

We finally get to tackle the 607 BC debate in our last show of the season.

Please leave any comments here and let us know if you agree or disagree with any of the points we brought up about 607 BC.

http://www.jwpodcast.org/2015/05/24/s01e14-607-bc/

Love,
    Jaymes

• Londo111
    Londo111
    There's a debate? :)
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    Hope it was a lively debate👍 You're all master debators.😜
  • Simon
    Simon

Does anyone other than exJW's care at all about 607?

I honestly don't think it really matters to most JWs. It's Math. Most people don't like math. They don't believe the WTS crap because it makes any sense or is based on evidence.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The most solid occurrences of events drawn up from secular archaeological findings and the bible's own chronology is that ancient Jerusalem was finally destroyed with the main temple in 586 BCE. by Nebuchadnezzar . The accession of Jerusalem started in the year that Nebuchadnezzar took the throne of Babylon from his father in 605 BCE.and some slaves were taken to Babylon, who Neb wanted in his newly formed kingdom and the building of what he wanted to create. The bible reconfirms 586 BCE. when it states that Neb made the final attack in his 19th year ( 605 - 19 = 586 )

One thing you be confidently sure of C T Russell was not a deeply well trained bible theologian, what he was was a amateur bible theologian making weak speculation upon the preconceived notion of selling these ideas which would essentially help into the selling of his printed publications, he was more of a turn of the century religious charlatan than anything else.

His biggest mistake is leaving the printing organization with money attached open for a possible take over to whoever desired it. Then came J Rutherford and the history of the JWS carries on from there.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    I think that the 607 discussion would appeal to some dubs. My dad would never leave for an emotional reason. hopefully something like this will eventually wake him up.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I think we should focus not on the 607BCE issue but rather on their different views of 1914 in the past 130 years. As Simon says no one wants to do the math.

Here are the basic metamorphosis that 1914 went through:

!) The end was a period of time from 1799 to 1914. Armageddon was a 40 year period between 1874 and 1914 which was supposed to have been a period of social anarchy. The Millennium would begin in 1914.

The earthquakes, famines and wars predicted in Matthew 24 were fulfilled in the past 1800 years (from the point of view in the late 1880s) since that prophecy was made.

2) Then, sometime after that failed to come about, they said that the end would occur within the lives of those who witnessed the events of 1914.

Throughout the 1970s to early 1990s the age of reason of those who witnessed the events of 1914 was considered to be young adults. But later they shrunk the age down to children but indicated that infants were included. When that failed they changed that to infants born in 1914.

3) Now we got the "overlapping generations".

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Village Idiot

Then, sometime after that failed to come about, they said that the end would occur within the lives of those who witnessed the events of 1914.

Throughout the 1970s to early 1990s the age of reason of those who witnessed the events of 1914 was considered to be young adults. But later they shrunk the age down to children but indicated that infants were included. When that failed they changed that to infants born in 1914.

I remember that so well except for the early nineties stuff.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

truthseeker100, I wasn't in during the 1990s but I think it was around 1995 when the Watchtower did its first major revision on the 1914 issue. This was, if I'm not mistaken, before the overlapping generations teaching.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Village Idiot, I've been out since the mid eighties. Just seems so crazy reading all of this from my perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit