Atheists and Anger...

by new hope and happiness 27 Replies latest social current

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Are you an angry atheist?

Personally i wish i could say anger is to strong a word, but from my point of view :-

A)i am angry that religion teaches children to hate " worldly people" At least that was my experience ad a J.W. From

B) That children are made to fear their bodies may not be approved by God due to being gay.

So i am relived i am now free of religion and can bring my child up based on love and my own integrity.

As a group i think athiests are often repressed in Christian countries, for example:-

A) If you an atheist soilder in the U.S armed forces have had prayer services pressured on them and atheist meetings broken up, by Christian superor officers.

B) The 41st president of the U.S, George Bush said of atheists " No i dont know if atheists should be regarded as citizens nor should they be tegarded ad patriotic . This is one nation under God.

C) It took untill 1961 in U.S A. for athiests to be guaranteed the right to serve on juries, testify in court or hold public office.

I mean the list goes on, but unfortunately i am quite busy now. Anyway i submit this post as i would value your opinions upon my return later tonight.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi nhah..anger? Im not sure perhaps perturbed, perplexed even fumingly annoyed sometimes.

Probably because as an ' athiest 'its a puzzle why those who are open minded, who will reason on evidence, who are educated can still cling to supernatural explanation for their existence ie the god being causing a deliberate, purposeful action.

I suppose it takes all sorts to make a world (keep bertie bassett out of it if you know what I mean)

Best wishes. ?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yes galaxie, i regretted ther term " anger" as soon as i posted.

Anyway on the positive side, since leaving the W.T i can debaye woth out believing i am correct. And this is the whole point of debate, is it not? To listen to the viewpoints of othets and see things from a different perspective?

Anyway i am still angry with how my former religion treated women, telling them to submit to their husbands, even when i could see husbands that treated women without respect.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

When i was a J.W i always treasured these words.

Corintians 3v13 " love endures long as is patient and kind: love never is enviouse nor boils over with jelousey, is not boastful...

And i am angry or rather lets say dissapointed that i learnt the meaning to those words outside the faith i learnt them in.

• Mikado
    Mikado

the attitudes towards atheists are not common in the rest of the developed world, thankfully!

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

I'm annoyed at how, even at the very best, religious thinking holds people back because it teaches them to believe things based on wants as opposed to facts, or that appeals to authority are a good thing, or that false either/or dichotomies actually exist, which then bleeds into other facets of their thinking (political, social, etc.). And at the worst, well, people die and humanity as a whole is held down.

"Angry atheist" as the religious frame it is a pure projection, though - it's basically them thinking "how would I feel if I lost my religious hopes" and projecting it onto everyone else.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well i am dissapointed no lets say angry that because of the Catholic Chuches teachings on birth control women are dying of aids in Africa and South America. I add the point to my earlier post about how " MY" former religion repressed women.

I get angry that so many religiouse leaders are only in it to steal, cheat, lie ,take sexual advantage of their followers and get rich. ( admittedly this is only a small percentage of religious leaders. Other wise i'd get really angry)

On the positive side i have met some wonderful religiouse people and have often envied their faith.

• zeb
    zeb

The late Irish comedian Dave Allen known for bagging things religious toured some of the US old cemetaries. He showed a photo of some on his show and one really took his fancy it read:

"here lies ..name.. athiest, all dressed up and no-where to go".

• galaxie
    galaxie

Ah yes zeb...nowhere to go, as an athiest I'd say that applies to the whole cemetery!!.

Best wishes.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Are you an angry atheist?

No. Hungry not angry. I'm just frustrated I was a theist for so long....what a waste!

I also feel frustration at those that think that because I'm an atheist that I must be 'bitter(tm)' or something just as assinine.

All I want is for people to keep their delusions to themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit