Pinker on Terrorism .... Self-Defeating

by jgnat 23 Replies latest social current

• jgnat
    jgnat

http://chronicle.com/article/Era-in-Ideas-Terrorism/128490/

His conclusion,

"Even when they are not rooted out by states, terrorist groups carry the seeds of their own destruction. As they become frustrated by their lack of progress and as their audiences start to get bored, they escalate their tactics. They start to target victims who are more famous, more sympathetic, or simply more numerous. That certainly gets people's attention, but not in the way the terrorists intend. Supporters are repulsed by the "senseless violence" and withdraw their money, their safe havens, their reluctance to cooperate with the police, and their resistance to an all-out crackdown.

Audrey Cronin nicely captures the conflicting moral psychology that defines the arc of terrorist movements: 'Violence has an international language, but so does decency.'"

May decency win...soon.

• cofty
    cofty

I was just reading that very chapter in Better Angels... today.

In the 70s there was all sorts of terror groups, eventually they all self-destructed.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Who would have thought that a terror group would have surpassed the Al Qaeda to inspire terror, horror? Mark my words, the days of ISIS are numbered.

• steve2
    steve2

Beheadings shock to be sure. But they do not cause victim's families or home countries to capitulate. Indeed terrorists' actions stiffen opposition to them. Watch ISIS go the way

of al Qaeda.

• gonzobear
    gonzobear

'as they become frustrated by their lack of progress and as their audiences start to get bored, they escalate their tactics.' Sounds like an organisation we all know well!

• jgnat
    jgnat

gonzobear, I would not characterize the WTS as a terrorist group. I would also suggest that they specialize in boredom. Numb butts and numb minds don't ask hard questions.

• gonzobear
    gonzobear

Not a terrorist organisation, but tactics similar to those described by Pinker are certainly employed. And these first lead to boredom of course, and easy prey/well behaved flock. And then those who leave are open to mental torture, fear and PTSD too - whilst actual lives are not taken they are no less destroyed.

• steve2
    steve2

I agree that it is totally unjustified likening the organization to terrorist groups. Little wonder JWs hear the kinds of criticisms levelled at their organization and shake their head in disbelief at (some) opposers ridiculous comments.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Aren't ISIS a little bit more than a small terrosist group? I would suggest that ISIS has vast amounts of money, equipment and a worldwide recruiting space that includes plenty of disenfranchised or unemployed or radical young men.

• jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit