My Lecturer booby-trapped me - Patterns of Authority in Early Christian Communities

by fulltimestudent 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I would also like to read your essay if you feel like posting it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I just know JEHOVAH is blessing the WTBTS.

DD😝

• scary21
    scary21

I find this topic very interesting. I would love to read more. Thankyou for posting.

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

Very enlightening Terry thank you. I love how you show the original meaning of the titles today. Language really should be better taught in school. If people knew the base meanings of the root words that make up modern language then they would not be as easily fooled.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I, too, find this topic to be interesting and would like to explore it more. Thanks for the list of reading material. Please post your essay.

I never had a chance as a JW to even think about stuff like this. Was kept too busy. I remember telling people that JWs were Bible scholars; wow, was I naive!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

May I add my plea ? that you please post your essay ? Many thanks.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Today I was listening to the (Aust) ABC and a speaker made a very good point. He said that Jesus was a Jew and once all the symbolism and myths in the "New Testament" are removed, he remained one. He said his teaching style was classic for Nazareth where he was raised by using parables and not writing anything down (he/they were uneducated) He noted that there were "Christian" groups which attended Christian meetings one day then went to the Synagogue on another up until the yr 150CE.

His point was that Christianity was a Roman concept.

• Terry
    Terry

What is Truth? speaketh thus:

Very enlightening Terry thank you. I love how you show the original meaning of the titles today. Language really should be better taught in school. If people knew the base meanings of the root words that make up modern language then they would not be as easily fooled.

Let me give credit to a book I read by one of my favorite authors, Gary Wills. The book is, WHY PRIESTS?

Wills is an intellectually honest Catholic. Imagine that! He distinguishes what is factually true from what

religious people simply assert to be true.

In the course of reading his book, he broke down the actual roles of the disciples, apostles, elders, priests, etc. in a breathtakingly simple exposition.

Read this NYTimes review:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112294/gary-willss-why-priests-reviewed-kevin-madigan

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Great reading, thanks for the posts! I'll be interested to see your essay also.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

You can add me to the list of those eager to read your essay. This is one of the most interesting topics I've come across since joining Jwn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit