Randy Bchman

by berrygerry 20 Replies latest jw friends

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

As a kid, my fave band was BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive). Randy Bachman (a somewhat devout Mormon) was the driving force. Randy had separated from the Guess Who (American Woman, These Eyes, No Sugar Tonight). Like many artisitics, he had interesting challenges with depression, becoming overweight, etc. As a fellow Canuck, I have listened to him on his radio-show, as well as viewed documentaries of his life as a Mormon, an artist, and a person suffering from depression. I've seen him on tour 4 times so far. His stories on Vinyl Tap Tour were mesmerizing, especially with the creation of American Woman and No Sugar Tonight. I would place him in the top 10 guitarists, along with Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen. One of my faves, which I saw live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsAIpiPKvKo Any thoughts, rockers?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I saw him with Turner about 4 years ago. I didn't like very many of BTO's recordings, but when they played that stuff live, damn did it ever sound good! I mean, it sounded WAY BETTER than the studio recordings. The best thing he could do is record a live album, and as far as I know he hasn't.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I like Randy Bachman, with the Guess Who and Bto.

Both were great bands.

• Ajax
    Ajax

Ha = listening to his CBC radio show right now (and every Saturday evening). He is a walking encyclopedia of the pop music world,

I love all his stories , and background info as he was there, and knew and worked with so many wonderful musicians from the glory days.

I feel 17 for a couple hours each week, Seems a real gent as well! Thanks Randy.

• badcompany
    badcompany

Thanks for the video. Blue Collar was my fav from either band. No Sugar a close second. I lived in Ferndale, Wa when they were on top. The Morman church he went to was 2 miles from my house. Rumor was he was a Deacon (no proof I know of being a devout JW at the time). His house up in Blaine is still known as the Bachman Mansion. I got to see him in a small venue up in Vancouver circa ~90. Spectacular show.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Bad Company - That's a cassette from my youth.

• startingover
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

Thanks for the reference, Clint (my top 2 actors - Gran Torino - powerful).

What I appreciate about Randy is that his HEART is in his music.

I have listened and watched so many musicians who have talent, but no SOUL.

Randy had/has SOUL.

(Currently listening to Kings of Leon / Temple (Seriously good album.) )

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Is there a better riff than is? Honestly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zkHc2WgPI

• talesin
    talesin

I agree about that riff, and Bachman is up there in the top, for sure. My own thoughts, are that we can say there are xxx top guitarists, but I couldn't pick the 'best' as their styles are all different. I do love Jeff Beck, Eddie and, well the Stevie Ray Vaughan/Colin James style is great as well. I would like to have seen he and Burton in their reunion. And No Sugar Tonight is my fav Guess Who as well, as long as we follow it with the New Mother Nature, as it is meant to be! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit