Did Jesus Christ Have A Messianic Superiority Complex?

by frankiespeakin 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_complex

A messiah complex (also known as the Christ complex or savior complex ) is a state of mind in which an individual holds a belief that they are, or are destined to become, a savior . The term "messiah complex" is not addressed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) , but symptoms of the disorder closely resemble those found in individuals suffering from grandiose delusions (GD) or delusions of grandeur. This form of delusional belief is most often reported in patients suffering from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia . Little is known about the disorder, but it is believed that as many as 10% of the population may hold similar beliefs in one form or another, though not significant enough to warrant a diagnosis. [1] Examples include Jim Jones and David Koresh . [2]..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_complex

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Anthony Morris (The Turd ) definitely seems to have a classic case of Messiah Complex. And the devout JWs hang on his every word. Too bad everything he says is utter nonsense. The members of the GB have got to be the LEAST 'spiritual' people I've ever heard. Their talks are nothing but boring banalities. It's laughable. Pathetic, really.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, frankiespeakin:

NOT IN HIS IMAGE, by John Lamb Lash, is one of many studies on salvationism and the redeemer complex. There were many claimants to the role of messiah during Roman rule. The Zealots, a small band of fanatical insurgent Jews, were primarily responsible for Rome's initially reluctant destruction of the entire nation of an otherwise law-abiding Jewish population.

The so-called pagans had no concept of sin, hence no need for redemption. Interesting, too, is what Lamb references as the perpertrator-victim complex where one group of men metes out divine punishment to another -- the victims -- with God's approval. So the subjugated pagans were forced to look for future relief from the messiah whose "chosen" instrument -- sinners themselves -- were practicing cruelty but preaching redemption.

CC

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

So..

Your asking if Jesus had a "Christ Complex"??!!..http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/thsmilie_happy_251.gif

........................................................................................http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

If he existed then he was just one among many pretenders with DG.

At any one time there are 1000s probably 100,000s who think they are Christ, God, Elvis, Elijah etc etc and something is "special" about them. It has been the same all thru the ages. Mental illness and religion always go hand in hand.

If Jesus (or anyone) could do the things his cult followers later said he could do then the Romans would have taken an interest and had it written down multiple times and we would still have the records to this day.

• designs
    designs

CC

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you CC very interesting.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Whatever the truth is of what Christ really was or thought he was, the hearsay accounts of him, written decades after his death, are so inherently fraught and so far back in the ancient past they cannot be held as reliable, historically trustworthy documents by any rational, enlightened person.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Quite right Yadda, any words we have in Gospels or wherever, that he is supposed to have spoken, are "put in his mouth" by the writer.

It is more than possible that he did not think of himself as going to Heaven and then returning, but knew he had to lay low for a while, his incendiary, almost Humanist message, that threatened the Status Quo, had got him in a very dangerous position.

Perhaps he saw himself as coming back to Judea as a sort of Super-Maccabee and being a Liberator of his people. Whatever his ambitions, his short life was cut off, and only Myth and Legend remain.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I think I suffered from something similar, and I am not joking.

Being raised a dub + childhood trama - needed counseling = majorly EFFED up. Before coming here, I struggled with depression and racing/ suicidal thoughts at times. There were times, because of the guilt imposed by the WTBTS, that I actually had a knife to my wrist. I used to long to end it all, or just walk away from my life, perhaps to a psychiatric care facility.

If you only have the premise that the Bible is inspired and infallible, your choices are limited. If the Bible is true, the WTBTS cannot be the truth. Eventually, I came to believe that I must be anointed. If you understand the JW mindset, then you realize the burden of that belief. This is especially true if you throw in TTATT. Imagine that GOD chose YOU and that you must die ( just coming to terms with mortality is bad enough)or be raptured. Imagine the weight of believing that YOU are supposed to reform the ORG somehow. Like all the movies, YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE. No pressure there!!

The GB believe it. Anyone who is "anointed" is mentally disturbed. The GB are right about that, they just forget to include themselves. Seriously, have you seen Stephen Lett?!?! It's all so weird.

Even writing this I felt a little scared for a moment. I thought, "DATA, you may have sealed your fate by sinning against the Holy Spirit." Then I thought," Well, if I deserve death for doubting things that are so hard to grasp and for refusing to worship a corporation, then so be it. If that's how GOD/Jesus are, then I don't want to be around in their universe forever. "

So I am still affected by JWism, although I am recovering. It's been about 3 years. I am getting better. Will I ever be "normal", probably not.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit