No more literature counters?

by konceptual99 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

There is a thread on jwtalk suggesting that the latest hall designs do not feature a literature desk. The dubs will pick up gear from a self serve kiosk in the hall, just enough for their immediate needs.

Time will tell if this is true but if so then it reflects the reducing emphasis on printed material. Also, I think there is another by product. You don't need two or three literature servants. One brother fills the kiosk when it needs refilling and that's it. We all know how the congregations are suffering from a lack of desire to reach out. I am not saying this the is thinking but anything that means you need less willing volunteers...

• 88JM
    88JM

That would make sense as that's essentially all the "literature desk" is nowadays, except for the occasional book or bible handed out (usually because someone has lost theirs!)

• jemba
    jemba

How do they order stuff that isnt kept at the hall? Actually dont worry I couldnt care less what they do lol

• designs
    designs

What will all those brothers do being out of a job...

• alanv
    alanv

I thought the idea was that witnesses would give a donation for literature taken. So I wander if they will have a donation box next to the literature or if they just trust witnesses to put money in the box at the back of the hall

• prologos
    prologos

alanv. yeah, I remember one literature counter in the Bethel of an 'developing' country where you had to pay hard cash to get anything. with fixed prices, not contributions.

• KateWild
    KateWild

We all know how the congregations are suffering from a lack of desire to reach out. I am not saying this the is thinking but anything that means you need less willing volunteers...- K99

In the two congs I was in there were plenty of brothers reaching out, there were actually held back by slef important and self righteuous elders. There were of course the usual ones who were on the fringes of the Org who didn't care less, but in the main they were all trying to reach out and chasing the proverbial dangling carrot.

I think this is just a cost cutting excersise, it will certainly reduce printing costs. They have already reduced the costs by stopping some regular articles and have JWs print them off themselves from the featured articles on the website, hence increasing the cost to the publishers / members. This raised my eyebrows when it first happened.

Kate xx

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What is to stop someone from taking copious amounts of littera-trash for the shredder? Without anyone to watch the kiosks, someone is going to hog everything and ruin it all. Or, everyone could get greedy, have most of it pile up, and destroy it after a few months. Of course, anyone who is not a complete idiot will not donate anything out of their own pocket toward any of this.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Basically what happens with magazines for about a year now.

At the beginning of each month the magazine servant puts out a pile of the current magazines and the publishers help themselves as needed.

"No magazines/literature left brother? You can always print your own!"

George

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

konceptual99 - "The dubs will pick up gear from a self serve kiosk in the hall..."

Wouldn't it be weird if it looked like the trollies they're using in the service?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit