Has anybody ever co-related what Jewish scholars beleive about the Hebrew scriptures and what jehovahs Witnesses beleive ?

by smiddy 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m just curious as to how different they may be.

smiddy

• kaik
    kaik

Yes, I did. I studied with rabbi in Eastern Europe for a bit and later went for classes that were conducted by Jewish teacher explaing OT and was done also by rabbi and professor who was Jewish and married to one of them. I am married to Jewish person, but the faith is not relevant as the second half is secular, but my in-laws family have some orthodox members. Jewish beliefs are different from Christianity, and it is also crucial do make distinction between Jewish faith and Jewish culture and life as part of cultural, social, and national identity. What Jews taught me:

1. Satan is God's helper, he collect evidence on your misdeed, and is like a public accuser. He works at will and under supervison of G-d and does not oppose him, nor torment damned in hell.
    2. Everyone is responsible for his own sin. What you saw you reap. There is no idea of original sin, nor Adamic sin. Life is created sinless and holy. Person became sinfull due innability to hold Torah.
    3. Nobody can pay out for your sin; thereofre, Atonement of Jesus, is invalid in the Jewish books. You are responsible for maintaining good relationship with G-d and no other person can bridge between you and Him.
    4. Hell is not defined, and if there is, it is not a permanent place of torment. Even citizen's of Sodom were released from the tormemnt. There is not justice to punish someone for eternity.
    5. Messiah is a king of the future brining peace to the world.
    6. Adam is not father of all mankind, but Eve is a mother of all humanity. Kain was a product of relationship between Satan and Eve.
    7. Angels can materialize on Earth even after the Flood. Angels who destroyed Sodom were banished on Earth for 130 years and could not return to heaven. However, they do not have evil inclination, this is only given to men by freedom of choice.
  • menrov
    menrov

kaik, any written support on these points?

• designs
    designs

kaik.

JWs tried to think of themselves as more Jewish leaning Christians but failed in many respects as you note. Most Christian denominations make an even worse mess of the Jewish Bible. Romans-Hebrews are a joke in explaining Judaism.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There was a fascinating post a few days ago by a guy who was well versed in Judaism, pointing out that the Jewish attitude to Scripture was different to the Christian. They do not see their religion as based upon Scripture, but see Scripture as springing from the religion.

So with them the Commentary by Rabbis past and present is as important as what is written in the Torah and the other Scriptures, they are also not at all hung up about what may be "genuine" and what may be "spurious". I can't just now remember what thread that was on.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

jewish scholar Lewis Black explains some of the differences well ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfqTYeGim2E

• kaik
    kaik

menrov, I am not sure where I would support it except that I had read Midrash and some books that were written before WWII by various Eastern European rabbis. There are tons of material and even you can ask any Jewish person where to study a Jewish faith. Jews do not have centralized faith and there are different opinions based on different interpretation of the OT.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

1. Satan is God's helper, he collect evidence on your misdeed, and is like a public accuser. He works at will and under supervison of G-d and does not oppose him, nor torment damned in hell.
    2. Everyone is responsible for his own sin. What you saw you reap. There is no idea of original sin, nor Adamic sin. Life is created sinless and holy. Person became sinfull due innability to hold Torah.
    3. Nobody can pay out for your sin; thereofre, Atonement of Jesus, is invalid in the Jewish books. You are responsible for maintaining good relationship with G-d and no other person can bridge between you and Him.
    4. Hell is not defined, and if there is, it is not a permanent place of torment. Even citizen's of Sodom were released from the tormemnt. There is not justice to punish someone for eternity.
    5. Messiah is a king of the future brining peace to the world.
    6. Adam is not father of all mankind, but Eve is a mother of all humanity. Kain was a product of relationship between Satan and Eve.
    7. Angels can materialize on Earth even after the Flood. Angels who destroyed Sodom were banished on Earth for 130 years and could not return to heaven. However, they do not have evil inclination, this is only given to men by freedom of choice.

i have been studying Judaism for some time now, and I agree with Points 2,3,4,5,6 First Half.

As for the rest if the points.. Interesting, especially #1 and #6 I'll have to research those a bit more..

As for #7 are you saying that Jews believe that Fallen Angels or other angels Destroyed Sodom, not God?

• designs
    designs

Yetzer-Tob, Yetzer Ha-Rah

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Thanks Designs : )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit