I just don't see how BAC's/JWs can get around the false prophecy at 2 Kings:1-4

by booker-t 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• booker-t
    booker-t

This post is mainly directed at BACs(Born Again Christians) more so then JWs because JWs have set dates before whereas BACs have always claimed they are not "false Prophets" like JWs and Mormons. At 2 Kings 20:1-4 the "prophet" Isaiah come to Hezekiah's deathbed and tells him to get his affairs in order because "the Lord says you will not recover and you will die". Now if this is not a "thus saith the Lord" prophecy then my name is not booker-t. Then Hezekiah wept and begged God to remember all the good things and his devotion to God. And the bible goes on to say 15 years was added to his life and Hezekiah recovered. Now my question to Born Again Christians is if JWs or Mormons had said the same thing wouldn't BACs be screaming "False prophets" but when BACs or Bible prophets do the exact same thing it is not a false prophecy. My question is Why do BACs always get a free pass when they give false dates and JWs and Mormons are condemned. I still have a hard time getting an answer from BACs about the Jonah story and 40 days Niveah will be destroyed. Some BACs have argued with me and said it was not a false prophecy because Jonah did not say "thus saith the Lord" in his prediction. Apparently in Deut "thus saith the Lord" has to be included in order for it to be a prophecy. Posters do you see a double standard here on the part of BACs?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The simple answer--God changed his mind with Hezekiah. I also believe there are other instances in the bible where God changed his mind due to the repentance of the people.

Also with the JW's, they currently and in the past made false prophecies that didn't come true. The BAC's that I know have never made any prophecies tying the end to a specific generation of people. They have always made vague references, and with good reason to--Jesus said no one knows the day or the hour.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes, God does change his mind. We learn't that this week's Bible Highlights, when the Mosaic Law claimed that only first born males could inherit land from their parents estates. Women were left out. Then a case came forward where a man died during his 40 years in the wilderness, and he only had daughters. They went to Moses, and he went back to Jehovah. Then due to extenuating circumstances, the women managed to get Jehovah to change His law.

• booker-t
    booker-t

So Junction-Guy and Quarterback are you two saying that Jehovah makes promises he cannot keep? So if Jehovah can change his mind for any given reason why should we put our faith and trust in a God that can change at any moment. When JWs change a doctrine people scream and condemn them, but when Jehovah changes it is ok. That is crap. So Jehovah according to you two can say "I think I will not cause Armaggeddon to happen and the whole book of Revelations will go right out of the window and St John will be proven a "false prophet". It is amazing the lengths christians/exjw will go to give christians a free pass.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I guess what I'm saying, Booker, is that when Jehovah changes His mind, it's for the better.

Your comment, "It is amazing the lengths christians/exjw will go to give christians a free pass". So, let me understand this. You're not a Christian/exjw?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Booker, when God changes his mind it is for the better. The difference is JW's lie from the very beginning, and only change their doctrine once their prophecy has failed--after all the wrecked lives it has caused. God has mercy, and if he chooses to forgive someone, then even better!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Here's another question, why do some XJW's criticize the watchtower for twisting the bible, and then turn around and join a liberal religion that uses the same bible twisting tactics that the watchtower does?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit