WT for this Sunday...You are My Witnesses

by Legacy 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Is this the actual name of the article and what its all about or is it just one of many subjects being discussed?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Just to sum up what Blondie and Searcher have presented:

-

Are believers to be called Christians or Jehovah's Witnesses?

-

Isaiah 62:2 (NWT) And you will be called by a new name, which Jehovah’s own mouth will designate.

Acts 11:26(NWT)After he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year they assembled with them in the congregation and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.

If God named Jesus followers Christians, why was it necessary to change that name?

Which name are Christians instructed to witnesses to - Jehovah or Jesus?

The apostles were commissioned to be witnesses of Jesus, not Jehovah.

John 15:26 (ASV) But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall bear witness of me: 27 and ye also bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

Acts 1:8 (ASV) But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Early Christians were also spoken of as being witnesses of Jesus, not Jehovah.

Acts 22:20 (ASV) and when the blood of Stephen thy witness was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting, and keeping the garments of them that slew him.

Acts 23:11 (GNB) That night the Lord stood by Paul and said, "Don't be afraid! You have given your witness for me here in Jerusalem, and you must also do the same in Rome."

Act 26:16 (ASV) But arise, and stand upon thy feet: for to this end have I appeared unto thee, to appoint thee a minister and a witness both of the things wherein thou hast seen me, and of the things wherein I will appear unto thee;

1 Peter 4:14,16 (NWT)If you are being reproached for the name of Christ, you are happy, because the spirit of glory, yes, the spirit of God, is resting upon you. But if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not feel ashamed, but let him keep on glorifying God while bearing this name.

Rev.12:17 Helpless with rage, the Dragon raged at the Woman, then went off to make war with the rest of her children, the children who keep God's commands and hold firm to the witness of Jesus.

Rev.17:6(LITV) And I saw the woman being drunk from the blood of the saints, and from the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. And I marveled, seeing her, with a great marveling.

Rev.19:10 (MSG) I fell at his feet to worship him, but he wouldn't let me. "Don't do that," he said. "I'm a servant just like you, and like your brothers and sisters who hold to thewitness of Jesus. The witness of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

Rev.20:4 (KJV) And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: andI sawthe souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received hismark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

ooo, please someone be brave and go to the khall and make the comment at the meeting.... lol !

we are not witnesses of jehovah , the israelites were we are not wittnesses of Jesus, jesus said that to his apostles. I guess people who follow pauls ideas would be paulines? er , christains. but we would be no ones wittnesses. maybe witnesses of todays governments or the world?

when i read anything from the wt now, i have an anxiety attack. its senseless and has no point.

theyre so damn confusing and are just totally made up.

however Im pretty sure the writters of the watchtowers use david guzics commentary for material, his writting style and explinations

have very similar sound and once article a while back seemed like they had almost copied and pasted some of his actuall content

my mom made a point of telling me to go to the wt site and read the latest awake, Isaid to her, gee mom where is the positive happy bible topics? people already know the world sucks. they want good news.

all i hear is satan and the end and woe and doom. who wants that?

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Excellent research and contributions dear brothers! Saved the points and scriptures here.

With overwhelming scriptural evidence pointing to being witnesses to Christ, the Society should have explained the article showing a battery of scriptures as well instead of stating their own interpretation or take on the matter.

Readers exercising discernment would put a greater weight on the scriptures more than the views of a man-made organization.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

gee vanderhoven7, can i copy and paste your reply [just the scriptures of course ]

and email it to a freind?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Sowhat now: Please do. I'm sure Searcher and Blondie would concur.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I agree with you all, but the witness reply would be:

"jesus never wanted to be praised, but wanted all attention to go to his father, hence, if we are Christians, we are actually therefore worshippers and witnesses to Jehovahs 'godness'"

or some variation garbage like that!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

As long as JWs worship the ORG and the GB, this is all pointless. The WTBTS has put Raymundis Martini's "Jehovah" in place of Lord in the NWT and RNWT. That complicates matters even more. A dub just has to be shocked to awakening somehow.

DD

• smiddy
    smiddy

The statement made in Isa.43:10-12 was made to the Israelites long before christianity was established , and the Israelites never adopted the name Jehovahs witnesses and were never counselled by God for not doing so.

The I.B.S.A. under J.F.Rutherford did it to distinguish them from mainstream christendom.

smiddy

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Just some further questions regarding the name of Jesus Christ for sincere Christians to meditate upon.

By whose name were Christians to witness? (see above)

By whose name were people healed? (Acts 3:6; Acts 4:10)

By whose name were demons expelled? (Luke 10:17; Acts 16:18)

By whose name would people receive the Holy Spirit? (John 14:26)

By whose name would people pray to God? (John 15:16)

By whose name would people be named? (Isa. 62:2; Acts 11:26)

By whose name would people be reconciled to God? (Rom. 5:10; 2 Cor. 5:18)

By whose name would people be forgiven their sins? (Matt. 26:28; Acts 2:38; Eph. 1:7)

By whose name would people be judged? (John 5:27)

By whose name would people resurrected (John 5:28)

By whose name would people baptized? (Acts 2:38, 8:16, 10:48, 19:5, 22:16)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit