Children being baptised - Aid book v Insight book

by berrygerry 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

A pet peeve (major) is that of the GB pressuring kids to be baptized.

Checking the Aid book today and the following under Baptism, No Infant Baptism.

Virtually word for word between the books, EXCEPT for the deletion of this paragraph:

"Regarding the practice of infant baptism, The Encyclopedia Britannica, Vol. III, ed. of 1946, p. 84, states: "The whole early period knows baptism only of adults, who join themselves of their own resolve to the Christian community. Infant baptism appears sporadically towards the end of the second century and indeed practised also during the following centuries, yet only as an exception.""

ONLY of adults.

Jerk-off kid (and family) destroyers.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Good catch!

This is a pet peeve of mine too. Goddam Pied Piper evil organisation.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Thanks, berrygerry. I've always been against that-got into a tit for tat at dinner with an elder over that one time. He just laughed as he is good-natured, but my goodness. I told him that if they want to baptize an 8 year old, they need to give him a glass of beer with his supper.

Thank you, yaddayadda2. So very, very true. And that goes for all religion.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, this topic has been discussed many times over the 12 years I have been on JWN.

Age to drive 16 with parents permission, 18 without

Marriage, in the US depending on the state 16 with parents permission

Voting - 18 years old

Drinking alcohol, 21 years old

Yet jw children have been allowed to get baptized as young as 6 to 20, and can do so without their parents' permission.

Perhaps the WTS would like to say that people did not live as long then and children took on adult responsibilities earlier in life, but that is crap.

When the Israelites were told they had to walk through the wilderness for 40 years, no one 20 or younger were held to that adult responsibility.

Priests did not start their service until they were 30.

Jesus was not baptized until he was 30.

• millie210
    millie210

There is only one thing this can possibly be about (baptism of children)

CONTROL.

Only it isnt working....the baptized kids are leaving.

• Watchtower-Free
  • WideAwake
    WideAwake

Infant baptism.....get them while they are young and don't know any better, for "they know not what they do". When they do grow up and realise the consequences, its too late.

If I had waited until I was 30, I would have known it wasn't the trooof.....

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I was baptized at 12. But I have been 100% against it, since I was about 20!

Dwain

• smiddy
    smiddy

Get them while they are young and then hold them to ransom for the rest of their lives .

smiddy

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

When you have 2 teens in the same hall seriously attempt suicide because of power-loving elders getting off on their back-room jollies - time to stand up and be counted!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit