Why do people support abusers in the NFL?

by Simon 24 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

Pistoff

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Because the sport is about violence, so how do they know where it stops?

What do they expect from a musclehead?

And why is the public judging them rather than the one's involved?

What brought the issue on, the video or the woman's complaint and filing of charges?

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

It's similar to soccer... The players bite one another and kick and punch one another on field. Then the fans in the seats often attack one another.

The fans in many places hurl racial slurs at one another and throw fruit on the field etc...

It would appear that the problem is that people put to high of a value on sports and it's athletes in general.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

It's a cultural thing. For some folks it's a part of the natural order of things.

If you grew up learning it's proper to discipline beat your kid until their legs are bruised with lash marks then you don't think anything of it when your a sports star is arrested for doing the same thing to his 4-year-old.

If you grew up learning that womanizing is a natural and expected thing for men then when your sports star does the same thing you don't think much of it.

If you grew up learning that husbands or wives slugging their mate as a method of sharing frustration or winning an argument is natural and normal then when your sports star does the same thing you overlook it as normal.

The NFL is populated with individuals from a wide array or cultures. But one culture in particular appears to be dominating the news in this regard, and in each case I see the aformentioned tendencies at work. That culture is not the only one with these issues.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

probably depends on whos going to loose the most money . its all about the money.

and what do we say about money?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The rates in the NFL compared to regular society for all manner of crime is way higher.

I don't dispute that it's higher. Many of the players come from violent backgrounds, only to join a profession that not only encourages violence, but rewards it. Combine that with the sense of entitlement that's instilled in them at an early age, simply because they're good at playing a game.

But you're opening post seemed to be asserting that only in the NFL, or America, for that matter, is someone allowed to continue having a career once they've committed a despicable act. Sorry, but I call bs on that.

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

It's been a problem in the NFL for a long time. The art or sport imitates life. Really though, it's a society issue, because these players don't just pop up in the NFL. They come from bad backgrounds and slide through the educational system. The numbers of domestic violence may seem high compared to outside the league, but it's a law of averages.

You have 53 players on 32 teams which adds up to 1,696. Add up to 8 players that can be on each teams practice squad and you end up with over 1,800 players in the NFL. If you have just 3% of those players get into some case of domestic violence, that's 54 players. That may seem like a lot but the total number of players are a small fraction of society. Whatevers the case, these problems are not going away. The league can let the bad players that are convicted of crimes go and these people will be part of regular society. They will not be public figures anymore, will bring their problems and possibly create more crimes.

Really looking at it though, the NFL doesn't guarantee contracts and ANY player can be released at ANY time. It can be for performance or in the current situations, conduct issues. These careers are extremely finite. IMHO, the bad players eventually get weeded out of the league. Their criminal record catches up with them or their team just loses patience with their conduct.

• designs
    designs

Who are we really, explored in novels like The Coral Island and The Lord Of The Flies. Dystopian and Utopian views. Can we alter our lives or are we captives to greater forces at work.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

I can't speak for everyone in the world, but I will give you the reason that I supported Adrian Peterson's return, and forgiveness.

6 Words.. First pick on my Fantasy Team.

In The Fantasy World, Adrian is a Caring Father, that whips his children with Love not Trees.

• Simon
    Simon

But you're opening post seemed to be asserting that only in the NFL, or America, for that matter, is someone allowed to continue having a career once they've committed a despicable act. Sorry, but I call bs on that.

Most commentators seem to agree that it appears to be a particular problem in the NFL.

Perhaps defensive attitudes such as yours are part of the problem? Wouldn't a "damn right, we need to fix this thing !" response be more appropriate?

To admit that something needs fixing is not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength and honour.

To allow ambarrassing wrongs to stand as part of an advertisement for American culture and to be excused is more of an attack on the country IMO.

Your whole reponse is to try and point the finger to other bad things to try and justify what has gone on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit