SATURDAY: 3 LATEST SILENTLAMBS NEWSPAPER ARTICLES

by AngryXJW 15 Replies latest social current

• AngryXJW
    AngryXJW

Allegations Along the Watchtower

By Elisa Batista
    2:00 a.m. May 25, 2002 PDT

Between the ages of 4 and 11, Erica Rodriguez was raped once a week by a member of her Jehovah's Witness congregation in Othello, a bucolic town of 5,800 in central Washington state.
    Rodriguez's story and others like hers are posted on Silentlambs.org, a website launched by an ex-Jehovah's Witness who was dismayed at the lack of action taken by the congregation against members he claims are sexual predators.

"Silentlambs offers them a place to put up their stories," said William H. Bowen, the website's founder. "To put it on paper is a form of healing."

Most recently, Bowen has accused the Jehovah's Witnesses of excommunicating members whose stories were posted on Silentlambs.org.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are a Christian sect of 6 million worshippers worldwide. Commitment is exhibited through a strict regimen of door-to-door evangelism and adherence to rules against blood transfusions, the celebration of secular holidays and displays of patriotism, such as saluting a flag.

The congregation denies Bowen's allegations but it has recently been in the spotlight over some of the child-abuse accusations presented on Bowen's website. There are currently two outstanding lawsuits against the congregation ?- Jehovah's Witnesses do not call their religious institution a church -- for intentionally harboring child molesters.

Other religious denominations are also feeling the heat, especially the Catholic Church, which has admitted to shuffling around priests accused of sexual abuse.
    Those who say they've been abused and their attorneys contend the current attention paid to sexual abuse in religious institutions is due to the courage of victims to come forward ?- and not from information on websites such as Silentlambs.org, Survivorsnetwork.org, Factnet.org and Thelinkup.com. But they also say the websites have been instrumental in victims' healing.

The websites, run by people claiming abuse, offer personal and mostly anonymous stories, news articles on the current scandal in the Catholic church, legal advice, discussion boards and tips on where to go for therapy.

Silentlambs.org asks for monetary donations to help victims.

Silentlambs sent Rodriguez a plane ticket from Sacramento, California, to Washington state to appear in court.

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, which runs the Survivorsnetwork.org site, holds informal therapy sessions ?- similar to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings -? in various cities across the country.

"Those two websites (Survivorsnetwork.org and Silentlambs.org) have been enormously instrumental in giving refuge and information to survivors looking desperately for resources they can trust," said Jeffrey R. Anderson, an attorney in St. Paul, Minnesota, who has pursued 500 sexual abuse cases against churches of all denominations in the last 20 years.

Anderson is currently suing the Jehovah's Witnesses on behalf of Rodriguez.

"The sad thing is our mainline institutions -- the churches -- have not been victim-friendly," he said.

Anderson said he doesn't actively recruit clients from the websites, although its readers are often encouraged to take legal action. He has, however, found witnesses on them.

He recently subpoenaed Bowen, of Silentlambs.org, to testify in Rodriguez's case.

"He has a key understanding of the inner workings of Jehovah's Witnesses," Anderson said, referring to Bowen.

The Jehovah's Witnesses congregation, with headquarters in Brooklyn, New York, denies it has excommunicated members who have contributed to Bowen's website.

But David Semonian, spokesman for the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, admitted the group sometimes looks at the website "when necessary." He also said it attempts to "readjust (the) thinking" of those who post material critical of the religion on the Web.

"This is what the Bible directs," Semonian said. "If someone is writing or causing dissension, we would meet with them -- two elders (congregation leaders) usually -- and discuss the matter. If indeed, he were causing dissension as the book of Ecclesiastes describes it, we'd 'readjust the man in a spirit of mildness.' You'd calmly discuss it together so you can bring them back to their senses. There is no automatic excommunication. We want to keep our members."

Semonian declined to comment on Rodriguez's case.

Rodriguez, 22, recalled reporting what she claimed was regular abuse to two elders. She said they promised to "take care of it" and told her that if she told anyone else she'd be "disfellowshipped" or excommunicated.

No action was ever taken by the congregation against her perpetrator, Manuel Beliz, an elder.

A few years ago, Rodriguez reported the abuse to Sacramento police. Beliz was tried and convicted of raping her. He is currently serving an 11-year sentence in a Washington prison.

Rodriguez is now seeking damages against the Jehovah's Witnesses, charging it knowingly harbored a child molester, she said. Anderson said the Othello congregation violated a mandatory child abuse reporting law in Washington.

"A lot of pain and suffering could be prevented if they would forget about the church's image, take sexual abuse seriously and start reaching out to the victims," Rodriguez said.

. http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,52484,00.html

When an organization arrogates to itself un-Scriptural powers and authorities and then threatens people who do not submit to it with un-Scriptural punishment, then that organization becomes a racket. --Fred Franz (1943)

• AngryXJW
    AngryXJW

Friday, May 24, 2002

Abuse charged
    Church elders wouldn't believe us

By TED CZECH
    Dispatch/Sunday News

Baltimore County Police have charged a Felton-area man with molesting three girls over the course of 10 years at both a Baltimore County home and a Maryland State park.

David Raymond Shumaker, 39, of 13597 Glessick School Road, North Hopewell Township, was arrested Jan. 23 and charged with one count of attempted second-degree rape, two counts each of child abuse and perverted practice and three counts of third-degree sex offense. A trial was set for July 15 in Baltimore County Circuit Court.

Shumaker was released the next day from the Baltimore County Detention Center on $100,000 bail.

Baltimore County Police Cpl. Ron Brooks, a public information officer, said the women contacted police in January and separate interviews were arranged.

The three -- two now 30 years old and one now 31 -- say Shumaker molested them between 1974 and 1984.

One told police Shumaker had threatened her if she told anyone about the incidents, according to an affidavit of probable cause.

"I would tell him that I was going to tell," the woman said in the affidavit.

"He would twist my arm and tell me that no one would believe me, and that I liked it. He also said he would kill me if I told."

Members of same church: According a May 21 story in The Baltimore Sun, the women and Shumaker belonged to the same Jehovah's Witnesses congregation in Chase, Md. The women reported the abuse to the church's all-male elders in the mid-1980s, but the three said the elders did not believe them and banished them from the congregation, according to the Sun's account.

All of the women have since quit the church, after years of being ostracized by the congregation for making the allegations, the Sun reported.

"They had this rule that you need a corroborating witness," one of the women told The Sun.

"How are you going to have a witness to sex abuse? It was like no one wanted to believe us."

During the time of the alleged molestation, Shumaker was a ministerial servant in the church, the Sun story said, referring to court documents.
    Shumaker could not be reached for comment last night -- a phone number for him was disconnected.
    Brooks said the scope of the investigation did not include the church, but centered around the allegations of molestation; he said Shumaker knew the three through circumstances other than the church.

Abuse described: According to the affidavit, the first woman told police she was 5 when Shumaker started molesting her. The abuse began with touching and progressed to oral sex when the she was 7 or 8, about the same time Shumaker married.

The incidents took place in a house and a shed at a home in Baltimore County, the affidavit says, and stopped in 1984 when her friend made an allegation against Shumaker.

"But no one believed her," she said, according to the affidavit.

"It stopped because my parents kept me away from him."

Police said the second woman said she was 5 or 6 when the molestation began. Shumaker forced her to perform oral sex at the same residence where he had molested the first victim, according to the affidavit. Shumaker was about 18, the woman told police.

"It would have stopped in 1980 because that is when I moved to Pennsylvania and did not see him anymore," she told police.
    According to the affidavit, the third woman told police that when she was 12 or 13, her family and Shumaker's were at a state park in Baltimore County when Shumaker sexually assaulted her. She said this was the only incident.

"I recall that I told a short time later, six months to a year," she told police.

"After he was confronted, he called me at home. He said that he just wanted to talk to me. He said that what happened was an accident, that I was confused about what happened, and he still wanted to be a friend. I just told him OK," the affidavit said.

A county detective spoke with Shumaker on Jan. 22. At first, he agreed to talk, but he called back four hours later, saying his attorney had told him not to talk with police, the affidavit shows.

Shumaker was arrested the next day.
    . http://63.147.65.16/S-ASP-Bin/ReformatSQLIndex.ASP?puid=2752&spuid=2752&Indx=1477184&Article=ON&id=2

When an organization arrogates to itself un-Scriptural powers and authorities and then threatens people who do not submit to it with un-Scriptural punishment, then that organization becomes a racket. --Fred Franz (1943)

• Mulan
    Mulan

Thanks for posting these articles.

But David Semonian, spokesman for the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, admitted the group sometimes looks at the website "when necessary." He also said it attempts to "readjust (the) thinking" of those who post material critical of the religion on the Web.
    Well.......that's interesting. A confirmation of our suspicions.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

"readjust the thinking"

and how do they "attempt" to do that do you think......

careful Mr. Semonian, the posters here may do some "readjusting" of their own......

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

That is a very interesting admission. I guess they can't understand how the term "readjust their thinking" sounds to those who believe them to be a mind controling cult. How can they say in good conscience they don't tell them what to think?

Path

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

yes Path, I agree, that "admission" is quite interesting....

do you think maybe Mr. Semonian may have blown it by trying to speak without the presence of a WTS lawyer.
    Unless he IS a lawyer, in that case they're in even bigger trouble than they originally thought.

An attorney in a blood issue case, or any case in opposition to the WTS would LOVE to have this admission. and now they do,
    in black and white.

take that back to your boss "philosophy boy"

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I don't think they have "blown" anything by that admission, but they reveal themselves to be hypocrites and show the great lengths they go to to control their members from expressing dissent.

Further "clarifying" comments on their part would likely downplay these statements. Interesting non-the-less.

Path

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Thanks for the post..... I was wondering how many of you out there have had the privildge of getting together with a couple of these 'loving' elders for a session of spiritual re-adjustment. What a bunch of hypocrites!!! Putting things in writing is one thing, experiencing one of their Gestapo inquisitions is certainly illuminating, among other things.

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

path:
    I beg to differ with you....A judge hearing a case in which a decision had to be made concerning the "mental competence" of a plaintiff or defendant, would find it quite interesting that the organization the member belonged to practiced attempts to
    "readjust the thinking" of ANYONE......
    for i.e., if a person's decision to refuse a transfusion was based on their OWN beliefs....

As for clarification, judges do not make it to the bench by being naive.....

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The term "readjust one's thinking" is a scriptural term and as a religion, JWs are allowed to interpret it as they see fit within the framework of the law.

JWs would argue correctly that this passage has no reference to mind control but I was stating that with public perception that they are a cult, using such terminology even though it is Scriptural can leave a bad perception in the public eye.

As for Witnesses refusing blood tranfusions because of personal beliefs, this is technically correct because most Witnesses do not want blood and this is their choice not to have it. However, they have been influenced to believe this and have not been told the complete truth of the matter.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit