Matt 6:34 - Is it realistic?

by punkofnice 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

True or false?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Cod psychology.

It ain't wise to take it literally, that's for sure. We did that as JW's, and ended up poor.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Very myopic if you look at the big picture, but wise if you are prone to sweat the petty things.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Not to be taken literally. It's silly to over worry about things but you need a plan. That is common sense.

• davidmitchell
    davidmitchell

It was written by someone about whom we know nothing (remember this Gospel, as the other three, was anonymous: its title is nothing more than a 2nd century guess) who believed the end was imminent and chose to place this saying into Jesus' mouth. It is based on a belief in an imminent end that, like so much of the Bible, was a false belief.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

This is one of the wisest things Jesus has said. Of course we have to plan for tomorrow, but Jesus was saying don't worry about tomorrows issues. I see to many people worrying about future issues, predicting what may or may not happen, yet don't deal with todays issues head on. Deal with todays issues, or troubles in Jesus words, tomorrow will bring its own. All we have is today, we may not even be here tomorrow so quit worrying about it.

Though I plan for tomorrow I don't worry about it. Personally I live in the day, that's all Jesus is saying to do.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Mwtt (?...? ) forgive them they know not what they do" - is it realistic? Its good advice.

Matt 6:34: "do not worry for tomorrow...." is it realistic? Its good advice. ( note tomorrow not the distant future)

• why144000
    why144000

As a song says, yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, live for today. Does not mean that I am not looking after my retirement!

• Watkins
    Watkins

True. Worrying about the future(excessively, and to the detriment of your well-being today) and preparing for it aren't the same thing - I agree with digderidoo.

Jesus is also reported to have said:

Luke 14:28 For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it? Balance. :) w~

• KateWild
    KateWild

I think it's good advice especially for JWs who live their lives just waiting for the new system and don't have fun in their lifetimes.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit