Working for JW's

by idiotnomore 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• idiotnomore
    idiotnomore

Just interested in experiences any of you have had working for other witnesses or companies owned by witnesses. I heard mutterings occassionally from other witnesses they would never work for another witness. I myself worked for almost 10 years for a witness owned company. After moving to another state, I was having trouble finding a job in my area of expertise right away so I took a job as a part time delivery driver for a witness owned company. Regardless of anything I said, the owner was adamant in his refusal to believe I had ever done anything more than being a delivery driver. It took me a while to convince him otherwise and I slowly started moving into other departments full time.

I decided to work with this job as much as I could as no other job prospects were coming my way. After 3 years of pretty much no advancement, I had noticed in that time that the owner favored anyone who had a position in the congregation, I was just a lowly rank and file member. More than just a few times, he would hire ones that were other elders or circuit overseers, etc and move them into positions over me. Their only job experience it seems he needed was purely their position in the organization. There was one retired circuit overseer he hired to become assistant manager. That was the last straw and I let the owner know. This new guy was about the most arrogant, self-entitled person I ever met. He made no bones about the fact he was in charge now. I stood my ground and I guess the owner respected me for it as he made us co-managers. I found out later he was only humouring me.

I got in so many fights with this other guy, he was a real arsehole. He made a lot of enemies. Also every single person that ever worked there was driven to leave because it was so miserable working there. By the time I left, I was the only original worker there. There was a district overseer that was hired as general manager over me (I didn't really care as he really was much more qualified) and as soon as he took over, they fired several people to make room for several members of his very theocratic family. There was a constant drama going on all the time regarding problems between the owner, managers and workers. I eventually moved up to the front office as a department manager. The owner was related to a local circuit overseer who often came in. He was very effective in ignoring me and other lowly rank and file members and would only talk to the owner and manager or others who had positions. His wife once pointed out to me that she thought only elders or ministerial servants worked in the front office.

When I knew I was going to be disfellowshipped, I talked to the owner and told him if he thought about firing me, he should think about how that would affect my wife and son not just me. He promised there was nothing he would do and knew he couldn't legally even if he wanted. Even before it was announced, I walked into the office one morning with my usual "Good Morning". I got no response and obviously the shunning had started. It was hell going into work everyday and being TOTALLY ignored. I remember there were only two people who would say good morning to me or talk to me even if it was just regarding work. They had been through the same thing before at a point. Well once it was official the owner and manager made up some bogus reason to let me go, I did get a fair severance and had to sign off to get it stating I wouldn't try to sue them. I was told to wait outside while they got my last check together.

My severance check would be ready the next day and I was to text them before I got there so they could meet me outside to give it to me. Guess I was contagious. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else had any good experiences to relate.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Christian love in action, eh?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Dad mentioned in his long career with the telephone company, they had one manager who was a Jehovah's Witness. He was the kind who saw every conversation as an opportunity to provide a "good witness". Arrogant, too. The two must be a package deal; unsolicited witnessing and arrogance. Anyhow, the company moved him to Lake Timbuktu where they could minimize the damage he caused.

• rebel8
    rebel8

A very long time ago, yes. I got hired to be in sales and run the office. They asked me if I was dfd in the interview and said point blank they would not hire me if I was.

They weren't paying me the commission I earned--kept saying they would once they got caught up on their bills--so I was totally poor. I won a bunch of food from a vendor in a contest--I won it, not their company. The owner's daughter called the vendor to change the delivery date to my day off. I called the vendor to let them know the delivery didn't show up and they told me what happened. I confronted the owner (Elder) and he said they had a get-together and fed it all to their jw friends--he felt NO responsibility to compensate me at all.

Once I went on a business breakfast, in a restaurant, with a male vendor rep and the owners said I was not to be unchaperoned again like that or I would be fired.

They were HORRIBLE at running their business and it was near closing. So of course they hired a guy who had no skills to be a helper for me. And then they laid me off and kept him. He was a jw. They told me to come in and work for free while receiving Unemployment. I was really young and didn't know I wasn't supposed to, so I did it a few days and then didn't qualify for Unemployment for those days. Screwed again. (Employers are supposed to know this.) That food would have come in handy.

Never paid me the commission they owed me.

I think they went belly up.

• LogCon
    LogCon

Don't give out these terds names or addresses when you relate these accounts.

Other readers may feel like me and contemplate tracking them down and giving them some ...

JUSTICE and COMUPPANCE!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@ Rebel8: I would have literally kicked the sh*t out of that Elder's daughter for being such an underhanded piece of sh*t! Imagine, taking food out of you and your families mouth to feed their JW friends at a weekend BBQ!! I would have immediately quit, then kicked their azzes! That is just appaulling behavior. Screw them!

I've heard too many horror stories myself.....I would NEVER work for a JW - EVER!!

- Wing Commander

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Back in 1976 in FL the right to work state or you get paid by the sunshine we have. I kid you not that was the thinking back then. Being out of work this elder needed help building a foundation for a house. He told me he would treat me well and it was only a 2 day job. Both days ended up 12 hours each. instead of paying me after the job was done it took me 2 months to get my money. I finally got my money all $20.00 worth. I was so upset over this but I could not do anything about it because I had nothing in writing or a agreed amount he would pay me. Then at the age of 22 I believed we needed to respect elders and not talk back to them. So I walk away not saying a word. I should have known better 2 years before that his brother under cut a job we was going to start the next day. We came to work finding him on the job site doing the job. When we asked him why he did this he said he needed the money more that I needed it because he had kids and I was just married. Again because of the way I was raised I walk away without saying a word. It took me awhile to stand up for myself but JW's were I lived are some of the cheapest and cunning people I have ever known. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit