I am curious from a comment made, were there any protests and any conventions this year?

by nonjwspouse 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I don't recall reaading on here about any.

I just wondered if any actually happened?

Oops I misspelled "at" in the title. I didn't mean "and"

• sir82
    sir82

Nothing at the one I went to.

In fact, in 40+ years, I don't think I've ever seen any protestors anywhere.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

I haven't seen a protest at a convention since the mid 90s. Frankly I think it was pointless. The last time I saw one I was still a believer and it only reinforced in my head that apostates were crazy and even possessed. They had their signs yelling and what not. Just wasn't effective. Some may say that it works but who knows, it didn't work on anyone I talked to. It wasn't until the generations teaching changed in 95 that I started questioning things.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I vaguely remember one protest in the early 80's in Hampton, VA. I've never seen a protest in Richmond. I've read of no reports of any for the International in Landover.

The funny thing is, in places there are protests, many of the protestors aren’t even ex-JWs.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I was in Raliegh, NC this year and saw no protests. In the past when the assemblies were in Hampton, VA I would see protests. Nothing really big, just a few people holding signs with web addresses. Most to 4jehovah.org.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

There where some protesters at my convention this year. I'm fairly certain they weren't XJW, though. Saw them on saturday as the wife and I were leaving. On sunday I ended up walking to the car alone, and looked for them, but the either weren't there or had moved to another exit to try and maximize exposure. I really wish my wife hadn't been with me when I saw them, I would've given them a little schooling in how to be more effective in their protest.

Basically, their operation was 3 people, one holding a sign (I forget what it said, but it wasn't very impactful) another passing out leaflets, and a third reading from something that looked like a heavily annotated bible and making comentary. She read some scripture, and said that it was only by accepting christ that we could obtain salvation. Obviously, there's not a single JW that'd be swayed by any of this since they're making statements that either agree with JW doctrine or JWs think agree with their doctrine (ask a JW if jesus is their moderator, for example).

I really would've liked to tell them to just be silent and respectful, while holding signs with jwfacts.com on them and maybe a comment like "We love you" or something. I feel certain that'd work so much better since JWs are conditioned to not take flyers from appostates, but those with doubts might go to a web page once they're alone.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Yep we had them again this year, Jason thickpenny and his group of born againers. Holding signs showing the '1914 the generation that will not die away' front cover of he WT, and other assorted anti jw rhetoric. He was walking around with the large print brown reference bible, which I thought was a nice touch. All seems a bit pointless though, barely anyone would talk to them even if they wanted to, there's too much peer pressure. I think that big jw facts signs would be more fruitful.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

No protests this year. I'm assuming it's because the WTS this year decided to hold conventions in the cheapest and most dangerous areas in the country, so would be protestors had no desire to get mugged on the way or home from the protest, etc.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

There have been protesters at some big conventions, but they all as a group look terribly clothed, disheveled, and sooo mad!

There was one a couple of years ago that dared go inside and cause a scene, but the brothers just formed a wall and started walking towards this individual, forcing him to walk outside where he was met by the cops and detained for public disruption. It was so comical the whole thing.

GC

• sunny23
    sunny23

The entrance to our neighborhood is passed by 4 congs to get to their hall 200 yds from our house. Thought about making JWFACTS.COM signs and putting them where neighborhood garage sale signs go. Its a small road and wouldn't be missed by any. Has anyone else tried this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit