giving honor to an individual question (wt style)

by carla 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

Obliette posted a thread about gb worship in the July 15 issue which got me thinking-

In other smaller books which I have only seen skimmed quickly (I think the yearbooks (?)) they often have articles about various jw's and their struggles and now the articles about the gb members and so on, my question is; why don't they see these articles as giving too much honor to one individual as they do with birthdays?

On a birthday it is usually over in one day, perhaps dinner, cake and maybe some gifts and a good time was had by all. With the articles they build up the individual to near sainthood and suggest everybody be like them or strive to be as pious as the individual in the article. The book I assume is available on the internet as well as in printed form for all eternity, isn't this "honoring" these individuals much more so than a one day celebration?

One could say that the article is merely using the individual as an example and the gist of the article is really about the wt/borg but then why use real people and pictures (if they are real)? why not use parables that start with "once there was a man/woman who......."?

• Divergent
    Divergent

"why not use parables that start with "once there was a man/woman who......."?"

Once, there was a man/woman who came up with a stupid statement comparing personal experiences with birthdays...

• losingit
    losingit

Just Kidding-- that was rude!

I getthe OP's point-- they are drawing undue attention onto these individuals, the way that the Society says birthday do.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I see your point. After all, as " good for nothing slaves ", they should do their assigned preaching without any fanfare. Jesus said NOT to blow a trumpet, or call attention to what you do. Of course good things will be noticed, and that is the point. You don't NEED to advertise or use propaganda to motivate others when a cause is truly worthy.

Jwism survives because of propaganda and advertising, and their professional PR department. EVERY SINGLE JW WOULD STOP PREACHING WITHOUT THE 24/7 STREAM OF PROPAGANDA. The GB know this. I argue that virtually zero JWs actually serve from the heart. Guilt and the promise of paradise Earth are the main motivating factors.

DD

• conflicted89
    conflicted89

I agree with the OP, undue attention is given to some within the JWs.

I was only little when I met him.. but was Daniel Sidlick a GB member or just one of the anointed? Twice in my life I saw him and both times he was treated with awe and as a celebrity. All the parents wanted their children to meet him, as if by some miracle his holiness would pass through a handshake or pat on the head. Don't get me wrong, I liked Dan Sidlick as did my older brother who punched him in the stomach - playfully.. But the celebrity and reverence around him seems even worse than the many GB life story articles.

PS. I knew two sisters who were anointed who were also given special treatment because of their status. You know the deal, kiss their feet and maybe they will put in a good word for you up there.

• sir82
    sir82

why don't they see these articles as giving too much honor to one individual as they do with birthdays?

No one's been beheaded for getting his story in a yearbook?

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

I agree with DATA-DOG. And, with a birthday, the individual is honored just for being himself, for being born, whereas these articles extol the virtues of an individual who is honoring the organization and the GB. But I see carla's point, we were always told we shouldn't be praised for doing something we should be doing anyway! (And Just Kidding, if you are going to be snarky about someone's question, please change your icon from a sweet kitty to a pit bull.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit