"The Cyrus Cylinder"

by Doug Mason 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I suspect that I am the last one here who has read the book: “The Cyrus Cylinder: The King of Persia’s Proclamation from Ancient Babylon”, edited by Irving Finkel; published by I. B. Tauris, 2013; 144 pages.

So I simply wish to record my deep admiration for the book. It explains and analyses the Cylinder’s text as well as providing a sympathetic account of the people involved with its ancient and modern history. (Chapter 1: The Babylonian perspective; Chapter 2: Discovery; Chapter 5: a Persian perspective. Chapters 3 and 4 are relevant to the display and presentation by the Museum.)

The idea that originally there were several versions of Cyrus’s decree, including on conventional flat tablets, could explain why Cyrus’s words recorded by Ezra are different to the words on the cylinder and it lends weight to Lisbeth Fried’s argument that I provide under the heading of “A temple–building inscription” in my Study at http://www.jwstudies.com/They_would_not_listen_Version_1.pdf (pages 110 to 111; PDF pages 118-119).

Doug

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Many Thanks Doug, I will read it later.

I wonder if the WT have commented on the difference with Ezra's words, they do love to try to prove Bible Inerrancy, so I guess they will say the Cylinder is wrong, and claim the Bible records Cyrus' original words, if they comment at all.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I did not know that stuff. How could I compare the words of Ezra with those in Cyrus' Cylinder? Can you provide some quotations?

Regards,

OPUS

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

I'll check that out later on , thanks Doug.

OPUS - You should find the Cyrus Cylinder on line, it is ANET, 315-316 Pritchard. Just look up cyrus cylinder it should come up.

BB

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Evidence seems to indicate that Cyrus allowed all captured god idols to go back to where they came from after he captured Babylon. He also made it clear the Babylonians could continue to worship Marduk in fact he stated that is was Marduk that helped him capture the city because the last Babylonian king was worshiping the Assyrian moon god. So the decree made to the Jews was nothing special he Cyrus gave spiritual freedom to all that were in his empire.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

opus: http://www.livius.org/ct-cz/cyrus_I/babylon05.html

Thanks Doug. Only read bits of it, but I found it interesting about the suggestion that burial chambers found in Ketef Hinnom (Jerusalem) were still being used after 587/6 BCE during the exile. It sparked my wanting more info about it and so, rooting around the 'net, I saw someone else contend that the chambers were where only the higher classes were buried. Seeing as only the poor were left in the land, so the argument went, these chambers couldn't have been used until after the exile when the higher status Jews returned. There was a counter-argument to that too. Anyway, I learned something new :-)

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

thank you Bart Belteshassur and AnnOMaly for the links, I will read them.

AnnOMaly, I think I know you from another ex-witness forum. You used the same nickname, but I was not OPUS there.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Thanks Doug. Looking forward to investigating this.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

AnnOMaly , I think I know you from another ex-witness forum. You used the same nickname, but I was not OPUS there.

Oh right? Which one? What name did you use? PM me if you don't want to disclose it on here.

• bohm
    bohm

I suspect that I am the last one here who has read the book: “The Cyrus Cylinder: The King of Persia’s Proclamation from Ancient Babylon”,

This is a massive understatement (overstatement?) :-). Thanks for the hard work, looks interesting as usual. I am looking forward to reading it this weekend. Cheers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit