The New World Translation

by Coded Logic 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

First of all, a belated Welcome ! Josh J, and thanks for that clear and concise explanation, I kind of knew most of what you say, but you have cleared away the fog so that even I could now explain it !

So even the Islamic expression "The People of the Book" is misleading to those of us who read it with the attitude that it means Jewish religion is based upon a book, Islam may be, but Judaism is not, which explains too the practice of accepting Midrash as a wonderful thing, to the mind of the conventional Christian it sounds like "adding to Scripture" which is forbidden to Christians, though in fact is much practised by them, especially the WT.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

And don't forget the" Body of Christian litterature that has become part of the Bible." ( WTBTS publications, that is)

• Magnum
    Magnum

Very interesting opening post. As a JW, I was kept so busy that I didn't have to time to research or even question this subject. I would like to know more. Does anybody have any book recommendations on the subject (different Bible canons, books that weren't included, who made the decisions, etc.).

• rjharris
    rjharris

People, the push has been - since after the time Christ ascended into heaven - to get the masses to believe in "things" and not the one The Most High God sent.

Those things being (1) Other persons, (2) Religious organizations, and (3) a book or books, one in particular called The Bible.

Conversations most persons have mention these "things" moreso than the Messiah. These things dominate the discussion.

Once the world comes to understand that The Bible is NOT the Word of God, they will be on the path to coming to an accurate knowledge of God and Christ.

There is only ONE Word of God and he is not a book, he is a person. (Rev 19:13 and John 1:1)

Two authorizations occurred in the history of mankind:

1. One came from God
    2. The other came from Man.

It was man who authorized a book - he named - called the Bible and told the world that it is holy and The Word of God. This is blasphemy and idolatry.

It was God who chose and authorized HIS SON as the Word of God and commanded that we listen to him. (Luke 9:35)

Sadly, however, it has been a book that has been elevated to a lofty position it has no place being.

There are those who say, "Well, how else can I learn about God and Christ if it were not for the Bible?"

Anyone asking that question simply refuses to think. How did persons learn about God and Christ BEFORE there was a book called the Bible? Who did Christ direct his disciples to when they needed something? It was the Father in heaven via prayer in his (Jesus') name. There was no book!

My knowledge of God and Christ and the "deeper things" is not the result of studying the Bible. The Bible is actually a limiting factor when in comes to increasing ones wisdom, understanding and knowledge.

The greatest source of wisdom, understanding and knowledge is the Father in heaven. Jesus taught us to tap into those things not through a book, but through himself in prayer to the Father.

Which of the following did Jesus say A, B, or C?

A - The Bible is the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through it.

B - The Watch Tower organization and other religious organizations are the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through them.

C - I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The entire world sits in a very very dark place and it thinks that it is enlightened. The world is babel (confused). It has done everything EXCEPT listen to Christ. It listens to Governing Bodies, Popes, religious organizations, and a book.

If one truly has faith in Christ (who is alive) and in the living One, the Father, they would rely upon asking and receiving God's wisdom, understanding and knowledge via a under-utilized and misunderstood communications mechanism: prayer.

What many call prayer today is not prayer. It has become simply a ritual. Prayer is the most powerful mechanism in receiving wisdom, understanding and knowledge from the Father. If one ask those things from the Father via Christ, then they will receive those things from the Father through Christ.

If anyone thinks that God takes detours in giving them what they ask - such as through a book - they have no faith. What we ask of the Father can only come via the same channel or way that we asked: Through Christ Jesus.

The moment one starts looking into a book or a religious organization, they have demonstrated before God and all of the heavenly host that they have "no confidence" in God or His Son. As "The Son" is the only way.

There is a "disgusting thing" among us and people do not view it as disgusting, but as holy. Untold death and suffering has come to the human family because of this "disgusting thing." It is used to this very day to justify war and murder. This disgusting thing stands in a holy place only where Christ can occupy.

"Therefore, when YOU catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,) then let those in Ju·de′a begin fleeing to the mountains."

The "fleeing to the mountains" is placing reliance upon God and His Father in heaven. God's high place or holy mountain.

A book - that came out of the earth - receives ones vote of confidence and one places faith in it; something God did not send us. It effectively replaces the one who came from above "The Word of God."

In these forums and on the official JW website, it is "The Bible" that is getting the props when it should be the one who God sent, His Son.

If you place faith in the Father and the Son and accessing wisdom, understanding and knowledge from the Father via the Son, no book, no religious organization, nothing on earth will surpass that wisdom, understanding and knowledge.

Many persons who are locked into their Bible and their religious organizations will not understand you much. They will think themselves the wiser and will dismiss you. But deep down inside your marrow, you will know what you speak is the truth. Why? Because it came from above, not from below.

The Bible did not come from above, only Christ did.

R. Jerome Harris
    e-Prophetic.com

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Magnum,

If you access my Study at

http://www.jwstudies.com/God-breathed_Scriptures.pdf

you will see that I list several other similar studies I have written.

I do not want you to necessarily agree with me; I want you to make up your own mind. All I want to do is to inspire people to enjoy the thrill of discovery and make up their own minds.

Doug

• sparky1
    sparky1

Magnum, here is a great place to start your research:

"Lost Christianities: Christian Scriptures and the Battle Over Authentication"- Professor Bart D. Ehrman PHd.

Available at: www.thegreatcourses.com

• Magnum
    Magnum

Thanks Doug Mason & sparky1. Will check out material you suggested.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

(The Book of Enoch) was not "removed" from anything. Christians don't make commentaries part of their canons either.

- Josh J

Can you please clarify what you mean by "commentaries." The book of Enoch contains the story of the Watchers (Angles that came to earth and had intercourse with women to make the Nephlim), Enoch's journey to the end of the world, and his travel to the heavens. There is also quite a bit of prophecy. I'm not sure why you're calling it a "commentary". I can't find this term attached to the Book of Enoch by any academic source (or anywhere else that matter).

Also, you say it wasn't "removed" from anything. This statement really clouds the issue as there was no official canon it could be removed from. It would be equivalent to a JW saying the book of Enoch was never removed from the NWT. True, it was never in the NWT, but the NWT is not canon. I agree that the Book of Enoch wasn't part of the main stream Jews (the Pharisees and the Sadducees) teachings at the time as it wasn't translated from Hebrew into Greek later on (the Septuagint). However, clearly James, as well as the earlier Essenes (Jewish sect), thought it was part of Biblical cannon. And, if you're a JW, shouldn't James be a more reliable source then the Pharisees and the Sadducees?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Bart Ehrman is a populizer of Christian studies. To focus only on Ehrman is not wise. There are so many scholars. Google Scholar has plenty of academic studies. Why is he being selected so much?

• sparky1
    sparky1

I think the attraction with Eherman is because he was a Born Again Christian whose studies led him to became an Agnostic, so it seems that he would be able to see things from 'both sides of the fence'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit