Sorting out who you TRUST

by Terry 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Who would you want writing your prescription for an important life-saving medicine, a Poet or a Medical Scientist?

There is an important distinction between the magisteria.

Keep this rule of thumb in mind: ignorant speakers, writers and philosophers speak in GENERAL terms to hide their ignorance. They resort to the mystification of languge.

INTELLIGENT speakers, writers and philosophers speak in SPECIFICS to reveal their wisdom. They use words with clarity, measurement, specificity and precision.

SIN is a ridiculous stone age concept. There is no such thing.

DEATH is telelogical reality.
    SIN is cartoon thinking.

Language is only precise when it sticks with reality and knowledge.

Why does the upward flight of a thrown stone pause and reverse field only to plummet earthward?

If you say GRAVITY you will imagine you've said something intelligent. But, you haven't. You've uttered a useful word which PRETENDS to explain.

Nobody actually KNOWS what "gravity" is. They can measure its effect and accurately predict the force of it over distance. But, nobody can really explain it without resorting to storytelling and metaphor.

Why? Because human knowledge fuzzes out at a certain point and yet, the "explanation" continues by switching from a precise terminology into a poetic terminology.

So, the next time somebody starts to "explain" metaphysics to you--ask yourself why you are trusting a POET to write your perscription.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

You make some interesting points Terry.

Being specific is something I have had to reaquaint myself with since I stopped imbibing of the koolaid

I had been speaking the language of vagueries for so long I did'nt even realise I was doing it.

Now I find the first question I ask myself and others when I don't understand is "can you be more specific?".

Specifics are like cryptonite to people who are trying to deceive I have found.

• Pinku
    Pinku

Terry

You are wonderful. I always read your post with keen interest. Looking forward to your next post.

What you said about gravity is true! It always excites me to see its various activities--Water keeps its level always--as if in a straight line, yet it goes round when it fills the earth. If we stand on some San Diego beach, we could have actually seen, with binoculor, some Japanes beach--but we don't!

• Terry
    Terry

The only interesting thing I know about gravity is the center-orientation factor.

Gravity on our sphere is toward the center of earth.

And because it is center-oriented, stars and planet's surfaces are equi-distant from the center (the very definition of what a circle is.)

The primitive view of earth, was a round disc; circular and flat.

We now know it is a rough sphere (oblate spheroid).

Simply using the word GRAVITY, however, doesn't express facts or data of any kind.

TERMINOLOGY is labeling, not explication.

Take the word SALVATION, for example.

Who is being saved?

Saved from what?

Why?

When?

How?

Doctrines of theology stem from guesses and interpretations.

Religion is, in effect, opinion believed.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Terry-

I dont care what you say - but I know in my heart of hearts that there IS A GOD because no matter what the shape of the swimming pool, the water ALWAYS fits in it. This is the quality of fluid adaptation-ness. Only substances containing the substance of moisture-ness, such as water, mercury, alcohol (more proof of a GOD!!) oil, urine - GOD made it to fit inside the toilet, no matter what shape the pan - the proofs are infinite!!

I know that there IS A GOD because when a baby is born, there is ALWAYS a Mommy waiting to look after it. This is the quality of Mommification.

HB

• prologos
    prologos

"Gravity on our sphere is toward the center of earth" you said?-- using a funny explanation: because there is no gravity at the center of the earth. There is less gravity in a valley, or gulch, a canion,- than on a high plain. stuff likes to flow where there is less gravity, like to the center of the earth, the center of gravity where there is none. oxymoron?

There is no gravity on the stone in flight you spoke about in the op, rising and falling, happy equilibrium like at the center of the earth, (sort of} with all the complications like moon orbit, bari center etc.

so the word gravity can conjure up intersting yearns, like mass through Higgs and gravity through gravitons , space tensions.

but salvation, that lets religionists salivate. It starts with the talking snake and goes south from that point on.

• Terry
    Terry

Prologos said:

"Gravity on our sphere is toward the center of earth" you said?-- using a funny explanation: because there is no gravity at the center of the earth. There is less gravity in a valley, or gulch, a canion,- than on a high plain. stuff likes to flow where there is less gravity, like to the center of the earth, the center of gravity where there is none. oxymoron?

There is no gravity on the stone in flight you spoke about in the op, rising and falling, happy equilibrium like at the center of the earth, (sort of} with all the complications like moon orbit, bari center etc.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3224

We dig the proverbial hole to China. We toss a stone into the hole. The stone is pulled down towards the center of the earth. It falls all the way to the middle of the earth once it reaches the middle, theres no more pull of gravity. But the stone is going pretty fast, and there's nothing at the middle of the earth to make it stop (since we dug all the stuff out). So the stone would keep on moving, going straight on up the other side of the hole, towards China. It would go up a ways, then (due to the pull of gravity) fall back in the other direction, back towards the center. This back and forth oscillation around either side of the middle point of the earth continues for a while. Eventually it stops, because all the while there's air that slows down the motion of the stone. The stone would stop right in the center of the earth.

• prologos
    prologos

terry, yes. Gravity is greatest for us at the surface of the earth. A one pound stone would be weightless in the center, whether falling or not, weigh 4 ounces if held at the heights of the earth's radius, and gravity is reduced to 1/9 if measured away from the ground at the earth' diameter. You can get away from the earth's gravity in it's center, but it goes on ~forever on the outside. we understand it's effects.

Sin, damnation, redemption is so different. unless we find the talking snake, (talking ass in this weeks' meeting),- it is just an incredible story.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Terry - HONEY:

Cant you see I am trying to save you from yourself? Purleeze don't ignore those who care for you...

• Terry
    Terry

Thanks for saving me, Hamsterbait!

Um--uh--what? Saving me from . . . say what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit