The government should TAX the WT for the social services spent on JW's.

by EndofMysteries 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Since there is an ABUNDANT supply of literature where the GB tell members NOT to get education, NOT to plan for retirement, NOT to worry about their health, ALL vs doing more literature peddling, perhaps the Government should stick a monthly bill to the WT for the social services, retirement, welfare, medicaid, etc, that is being spent on members because of their insisting that they don't take care of themselves and plan for the future.

How quickly would 'new light' come that each member SHOULD plan for retirement, SHOULD get good schooling, etc??

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Well, government will never tax them so they will not change. It would be a blatant First Amendment violation. One would need to stage a coup d'etat. They have a right to say no to education. I would rather self pay any day. Witnesses have a sweet tooth for govt. benefits. It is the price of freedom.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

Governments all over should tax ALL religious entities. It is coming down the pipe here in America, no doubt.

Of course, the loophole that allows corporations not to pay the correct amount of taxes should be eradicated as well.

GC

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It would be a blatant First Amendment violation.

Not at all.

Presently the Govenment SUPPORTS religion by granting favorable tax status to religion.

ALL religion should be taxed as is any other business.

Doc

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

YEP.... Tax 'Em.

DD

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Does the first amendment include religions that serve as blinds to scam people into them, and then make them miserable? It's one thing to not get an education. It's another to preach that one should remain poor, that every line of work contradicts some obscure line of their theocracy, and even encourage the members to get welfare. Ultimately, this results in damnation when they should have been more reasonable. Let people have enough time to research what is going on, so they can get decent employment and enough information to properly invest that money instead of wasting the time preaching some worthless message. And I believe sexual repression is next on the agenda--I already see hints that marriage is off limits for those who are not financially secure while they are making getting this financial security almost impossible.

This goes beyond religion. Walmart, by expecting their workers to go on welfare, should also be taxed for this.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I agree w/ everything EXCEPT the walmart comment.

Minimum wage being raised, or forcing walmart and other minimum wage companies to increase wages will HARM vs help the economy. Minimum wage is not supposed to be a wage that is liveable on your own. Wages are also a product of supply and demand. If you don't like the wage, go to school, learn something that pays better and get at it. If nobody worked at walmart because they paid to little, they would increase the wage.

Also, people seem to not understand that increasing minimum wage does not mean that they will have the spending power of that wage as it stands today. If minimum wage is increased or companies forced to pay more, then it raises the prices everywhere. A person getting $8 an hour can buy a $3 or $4 burger. Force a wage increase to $12 an hour and then they can get a $5 or $6 burger. They are making more money but they can't buy anymore. So the poor remain exactly in the same spot, but those who get above minimum wage are the ones who get hurt.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

What D.O.C said. The present situation is a violation of the spirit of the First Amendment.

There is little difference between what religions enjoy in the U.S.A than in countries like mine that do have an established Church (the C 0f E), by subsidising religion with Tax Free status and not having to contribute to Health care, the U.S Government is hardly keeping Church and State seperate.

From Wiki " The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, .............. "

Firstly all Governments should remove blanket Charitable Status, only Charities seperate from religion, even if set up by one, who can clearly show the money going on real Charitable work, should receive Tax Relief.

Then the religions should pay all taxes as do other businesses. We don't equate the proper paying of such taxes with denial of free speech to those businesses do we ?

• under the radar
    under the radar

I agree 100% with Phizzy. All religious organizations should pay taxes like any other business. That includes contributions they receive, property they own, businesses they run, etc., etc. I also agree that true charities that actually help people should remain tax-free, even if they are run by religious groups. This should NOT include organizations that hide behind the false cloak of a "charity" like the JWs do in the UK. Their "educational" work is not charity in any sense. It is only given to those who accept "Bible studies," and then only as long as the person accepts JW dogma without question.

Also, all religious organizations as well as charities should be required to make their financial statements and tax returns public so people can see exactly where their money is going. The government could do that right now without much of a social upheaval. There is absolutely no reason why any tax-free organization should not have to disclose its financial information.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Taxing religion is NOT coming down the pipe here in America. There is the First Amendment. Politically, it is completely unfeasable. There are many red electoral states. This is a very religious country, not by structure or law, but by character. It would present Establishment Clause problems. Five thousand years from now it may be coming down the pipe. Of course, the pipe is not where we pass laws. Once you know reality, you may be able to impact it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit