How many anointed disciples were in the 1st Lord's Meal?

by hardtobeme 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hardtobeme
    hardtobeme

According to the Bible, none... All 12 partook of the emblems. Jesus told them to partake even thought they were not anointed with Holy Spirit yet.

They were anointed at Pentecost...

And Judas was present too according to luke 22:21.. Watchtower says that luke's chronological order is wrong.

This is what they say according to Insight on the Scriptures under Judas:

"Immediately Judas left the group. A comparison of Matthew 26:20-29 with John 13:21-30 indicates that he departed before Jesus instituted the celebration of the Lord’s Evening Meal. Luke’s presentation of this incident evidently is not in strict chronological order, for Judas had definitely left by the time Christ commended the group for having stuck with him; that would not fit Judas, nor would he have been taken into the “covenant . . . for a kingdom.”— Lu 22:19-30 ."

So, whom should I believe? Luke was a Holy Spirit inspired writer. FDS is Holy Spirit guided ( which SO many times that spirit has been proven wrong)

• bsmart
    bsmart

Just one more reason that the book is not inspired. Wouldn't true inspiration prevent mistakes or conflicts like this?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I read Judas was presenting during the meal. He may have left in the middle of the meal which would be bad manners. So many films done well show Judas at the meal. Harvey Keitel's Judas is present in The Last Temptation of Cross. The stories in the gospels about Judas don't add up. I have a feeling he stayed for the entire meal. He was close to Jesus and had excellent values. The gospels want to dramatize the tension between Judas and Jesus.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Judas was present during the passover but left after it and prior to the Bread and wine passing.

Inspiration has nothing to do with whether there are mistakes or not. It is simply a historical matter. Inspiration is not relevant to that.

• prologos
    prologos

WT writers had no problem with a partaker later parting company from the faithful. Until recently

they taught that all the new partakers were REPLACEMENTS, so there were thousands of betrayals after initial partaking.

The issue was the 2 covenants that night. the New Covenant for forgiveness of sin, and the Kingdom Covenant (now dubbed a legality), in which Judas was not finally* included, because he was on the 'earning the money' errant.

* the kingdom covenant was proposed/ promised earlier too. Math. 19:28.

Still, all christians are anointed , only 144 k are SEALED,

so the story goes.

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

According to the Bible, none... All 12 partook of the emblems. Jesus told them to partake even thought they were not anointed with Holy Spirit yet.

Wow, to me this post is a new light or flash of light (not in the WT sense). Until I have seen this post, it did not occur to me that the apostles were not yet anointed by the spirit when they participated in Lord's evening meal. Hence, anointing cannot just be the sole basis for partaking bread and wine. Notice the following supporting verse:

“Jesus said to them: ‘I am the bread of life. He that comes to me will not get hungry at all, and he that exercises faith in me will never get thirsty at all.’ . . ‘I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the wilderness and yet died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that anyone may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if anyone eats of this bread he will live forever; and, for a fact, the bread that I shall give is my flesh in behalf of the life of the world.” – John 6:35, 48-51
  • ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Wow, to me this post is a new light or flash of light (not in the WT sense). Until I have seen this post, it did not occur to me that the apostles were not yet anointed by the spirit when they participated in Lord's evening meal. Hence, anointing cannot just be the sole basis for partaking bread and wine. Notice the following supporting verse:

“Jesus said to them: ‘I am the bread of life. He that comes to me will not get hungry at all, and he that exercises faith in me will never get thirsty at all.’ . . ‘I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the wilderness and yet died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that anyone may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if anyone eats of this bread he will live forever; and, for a fact, the bread that I shall give is my flesh in behalf of the life of the world.” – John 6:35, 48-51
  • ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

This came like a flash of light (not in WT sense) to me. Indeed, the apostles were anointed at the Pentecost. Yet they partook. Hence, it's clear that anointing is not the sole basis for partaking in the Lord's evening meal. Furthermore, look at John 6: 48-51, then 54-56 and see the words in bold.

48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.

The words "whoever and which anyone" do not limit partakers to one group, e.g. anointed class. I wonder why the Governing Body is preventing majority of JW community from partaking.

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

This came like a flash of light (not in WT sense) to me. Indeed, the apostles were anointed at the Pentecost. Yet they partook. Hence, it's clear that anointing is not the sole basis for partaking in the Lord's evening meal. Furthermore, look at John 6: 48-51, then 54-56 and see the words in bold.

48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.

The words "whoever and which anyone" do not limit partakers to one group, e.g. anointed class. I wonder why the Governing Body is preventing majority of JW community from partaking.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't trust the Judas accounts. The later church is projecting its Judas teachings onto the historical Judas. It is the fast track to later antiSemitism. He had positions of responsibility. I would completely agree with him about money going to the poor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit