What does the average Witness know?

by Grunt 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry
    To me - this was the turning point of hypocrisy for the WTBTS. People were KILLED for a quarter.

waiting

Waiting, I always enjoy your posts; the one with the quote above was no exception.

As a businessman, I always connect events to the money. The reason for the Malawi/Mexico fiasco popped right out at me when reading Crisis of Conscience, although Ray Franz never made this connection clear.

You'll recall the society lied about being a religion for the sole purpose of being able to acquire the property holdings from the Mexican brothers. They claimed to be a "cultural" organization and didn't pray or use the bible in their gatherings. No doubt the Mexican officials granted them this status reasoniong that no bona fide religion would go so far as to deny prayer and the bible.

As a side note: Isn't it interesting how all the "false" religions in Mexico could not have concientiously done such a thing? Therefore, although they didn't own their own property; all the "false" religions continued to study the bible, sing their devotional songs, and openly pray together as Jesus commanded; while Jehovah's Witnesses led a life of open rebellion against Christ spurred on by the Society.

Anyway, my point is that if you are presenting yourself as a "cultural" organization and not a religion, you can't have a bunch of religious nuts backing up the court system as contientious objectors can you?

I can guarantee that WT leadership knew full well that if that happened, they would lose their "cultural" status and be forced to fork over millions of dollars in property holdings. They might have been liable criminally as well.

So while they didn't mind people dying for 25 cents, they also didn't mind lying and stealing from the Mexican government for their share of the Mexican loot.

Does anyone here doubt that if their status was religious as opposed to cultural that the brothers would have been forced into filthy Mexican prisons on the cumpulsory military issue?

It was strictly a business decision.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Grunt; just a point to your question no. 3:
    This is no longer true; as of January, 2000, the literature is dlivered "free" in all countries.
    Just to clarify that one.

• Sirona
    Sirona

In Between Days:

I remember seeing some quotes from scholars over on one of the ExJw sites - probably freeminds.org

I will see if I can fish any out. The changes to scripture in the NWT are well documented - just take a look.

Sirona

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

• dmouse
    dmouse

I think they 'know' a lot of this stuff but filter it out, or just don't make the connections.

My JW wife went to the States in the 1970s and visited Russel's grave site. She took this photo and neither of us thought the pyramid shape of his tomb was anything strange! We just thought it was for aesthetic purposes!!!!!!!

• Grunt
    Grunt

Thanks Old Hippie,
    I didn't know that and appreciate the information.

• ravingferret
    ravingferret

Greetings,

I recently started a bible study with a witness and Ive raised quite a few of the points on here and I was actually impressed by the fact that there are so many sites that are anti-witness,an excellent witness in itself,does make one wonder how 6,000,000 can become so hated in the world,I do how ever thank everyone for their comments as it does deff. give one a good perspective,so Ill keep my study going I think.

Catcha later
    Ferret

• tkmmorgan
    tkmmorgan

ravingferret

By all means continue your study. Try a couple of things though, and see what happens;

1. Ask them to prove that the WTBTS is really Jehovah's mouthpiece and not a false prophet, without badmouthing other religions and keeping in mind that the only Biblical test for a prophet was if they made claims in Jehovah's name and the prophecy didn't come true. Keeping this in mind

"From a purely human viewpoint, it could appear that these developments could hardly take place before the generation of 1914 disappears from the scene. But fulfillment of all the foretold events affecting the generation of 1914 does not depend on comparatively slow human action. Jehovah's prophetic word through Christ Jesus is: "This generation [of 1914] will by no means pass away until all things occur." (Luke 21:32) And Jehovah, who is the source of inspired and unfailing prophecy, will bring about the fulfillment of his Son's words in a relatively short time." (Watchtower 5/15 1984 page 6; bold added - brackets theirs) (thanks JanH)

Until they can prove this (which they can't) talking about doctrine that comes from the GB is totally meaningless. I have about 18 pages of research that I have done with nothing but quotes from their own publications and their own translation of the Bible- the New World Translation that proves they are false prophets if anyone is interested.

2.Just because JW's can "prove" other religous groups wrong dosen't mean they are right.

Simplified example:

Catholic: The sky is red.

Protestant: The sky is green.

Mormon: The sky is orange.

Jehovah's Witness: The sky is purple.

Me: I wonder which is right?

JW: The sky is not red, green, or orange. If it's not those it must be purple. No, no don't bother to look into it yourself I'm a follower of Jehovah and would never mislead you.

Make them prove it without a single word of comparison to other religions.

3. Ask them questions that make them think. The average JW is so indoctinated he/she dosen't even have to listen to you to know what you are going to ask and so answers from what has been drilled into them by rote, so ask things that aren't in their little book of drivel "Reasoning from the Scriptures"

Examples:

1.After I live through the Big A as a JW what happens next?

Their own book (I forget the title-something about living forever in paradise on earth) says that the survivors will have to clean up and rebuild the earth into a paradise for all the people to be resurrected into. Let's look at that for a minute- billions of bodies to clean up, all the rubble to clean up, homes to build, and clothing food and such provided for newly resurrected ones, the majority of which will be "evil ones" getting their second chance to accept "the truth". All this will have to be done by hand since all machinery, factories, etc. will have been destroyed. Sounds like fun huh!?

2.If I get a second chance why shouldn't I just ignore your message and since you believe in soul sleep and I will be unaware until resurrected then I will miss out on all the work of recreating the paradise? What would I have to lose by following that course?

3. You teach that the JW's will be teaching all these resurrected ones about the truth. Does that include all the JW's that have died over the years?

4.If so how will you close the knowledge gap since what you teach now bears almost no resemblance to what you taught in Russell's day? Will all those older generation JW's be resurrected first so you can bring them up to date on the "new light"?

5. Your living forever book teaches that JW's will be administrators of the paradise earth. JW's keep totally out of any type of government so what training program have you implemented so that they will have the skills necessary to deal with mundane issues that come up, such as sewers, trash disposal etc.? (The Mormons believe the same thing and they have such a program. They are kooks too but this isn't a Mormon site)

6. You teach Jehovah God limited his own knowledge so that he wouldn't be responsible for sin. Is this the reason he fails to present truth to you in an understandable whole?

7. Since the truth must be presented in pieces to JW's how is it that sometimes you see the pieces as exact opposites? For example, organ transplants were once called marvels of modern medicine and were ok, then cannibalistic, then a matter of conscience and once again ok. Is Jehovah God not powerful enough to make sure you at least see the parts correctly?

8. In the above example, how is the light getting brighter? Seems to me to be vacillation. (And don't even show me the sailboat)

9. In light of present day JW teaching explain John 5:24 to me.("Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life." -NKJV, but it reads about the same in the NWT)

Anyway, the JW's tactics are always to avoid talking about the WTBTS and the GB but they love to talk doctrine, and to attack other religions as if that makes them correct by default. I don't see how you can discuss doctrine without discussing whether or not its source is correct.

Always question take nothing anyone says (including me) at face value. Do you own research. The truth about the WTBTS is out there but you have to be willing to hear it.

One more thing to consider: this is the GB's definition of a lie-" saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth and doing so with the intent to deceive or to injure him or another person". This differs slightlyfrom mine, I thought a lie was just saying something false. So you have to ask yourself (obviously they aren't going to say "oh no your not entitled) if they think you are entitled to know the truth. If they don't they will lie to you and think they are doing right. They call it "theocratic warfare".

God's Word commands: "Speak truth each of you with his neighbor." (Eph. 4:25) This command, however, does not mean that we should tell everyone who asks us all he wants to know. We must tell the truth to one who is entitled to know, but if one is not so entitled we may be evasive ( Watchtower June 1, 1960)

Some things to think about

Todd

p.s.

I was actually impressed by the fact that there are so many sites that are anti-witness,an excellent witness in itself,does make one wonder how 6,000,000 can become so hated in the world,

Please explain this kind of reasoning to me. Let's put it another way- If you were going to buy a car and found lots of research stating it had huge problems this would be an excellent endorsement of the car?

Edited by - tkmmorgan on 12 July 2002 13:21:23

Edited by - tkmmorgan on 12 July 2002 13:37:5

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Ravingferret,

I've addressed you on another post but I don't know if you've read it. If not, welcome!!!

I've a couple of questions for you.

1. On the other post, you said (and I quote) "and seeing I havnt read a publication in 6 years" and "at this rate I might consider going back with my tail between my legs and hope for the best." Sounds like you've been there, done that. But one would gather by reading what you just wrote on this thread that you are a "householder" who has just (and again, I quote) "recently started a bible study with a witness." So, which is it?.......Are you an oldie or newbie????

2. Also, you say:

I was actually impressed by the fact that there are so many sites that are anti-witness,an excellent witness in itself,does make one wonder how 6,000,000 can become so hated in the world,

In addition to excellent reasoning given by tkmmorgan, I would like to add this:

You can also find just as many, if not more anti-christian, baptist, methodist, mormon, atheist, moonie, etc. sites. Is that also a "witness within itself"?

If not, then why??

Again, I extend to you a warm welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy it here....

Bona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit