How long did you study prior to becoming a JW?

by Cassiline 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

some questions, if they have been asked before, I have not seen the thread.

How long did you study with a witness, before you entered the JW
    Religion, how long before being baptized?

( I was raised in the "truth" and baptized at 16.)

C

When the pain of being where we are, becomes greater than our fear of letting go...we will risk and heal and grow.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Three years, back in the 1960's, when studies were still conducted till time indefinite...

Tom

"Gentlemen, he said, I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes, I've moved your mountains and marked your cards. But Eden is burning"
    --Bob Dylan
  • out4good3
    out4good3

Don't know how long a typical study/brainwashing goes on these days but I remember studying, errrr......... being brainwashed for about a year before baptism. We then moved to a different book (I don't remember the name) before he handed me off to a recently reinstated brother. At least, I think he was recently reinstated because I hadn't seen him around the KH before. In any case since I was baptised the elder made clear that he had no more use for me.

My wife on the other hand studied various books with those same pioneer sisters some two years after I was baptised. By the time they got around to dropping her as a study, I'd already seen enough and was making my way out.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

I was 17 years old. I'd just had a baby, got married, moved to Germany - new language, 5000 miles from my mom, and no friends. They came to the door.

I studied for a year, and was baptized at a German assembly. They asked the questions in both languages - for me. Now wasn't that nice of them? (this was back in the early 1980s... well, baptized in 1984)

Mimilly

• Xena
    Xena

I was 13 years old when they knocked on our door. My mom started studying first (she had hellfire issues), then my middle sister Cindy...and then I was sucked in...studied for about 6 months? However long it took to get thru the Truth Book (does that date me???) and got baptised. Was on the assembly part because I got baptised with both my sisters...aaahhhh a proud moment don't ya know????

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I got baptized in three months, had no clue what I was getting involved with. Had not even finished the truth book. Think I only had a study until the 6th chapter, and of course, back then you couldn't count your time if your study got baptized, so I was dropped like a hot potato.
    Leslie

• AMarie
    AMarie

Since I was born into the religion, I had been around it all my life. When I was thirteen, I decided that the time was right for me to get baptized. All of my closest friends were doing it, and I really wanted to do the right thing in god's eyes at the time. My mother and I studies the Knowledge Bood (I think) which took about 6 months.

It was definitely a decision that a 13 year old isn't mature enough or experienced enough to make. I had no idea what I was getting into.

AMarie

• dissedsis
    dissedsis

I grew up as a witness got baptized when I was 12(under my mothers influence) and was disfellowshiped at age 14.

[b]Never leave the ones you love...but..Never love the ones that left.[b/] ;)
    dissedsis

• peacepipe
    peacepipe

how many books will they take you through before study dropped? (assuming you have not yet been baptized)

PeacePipe

Look around and choose your own ground. . for long you live and high you fly. . and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. . and all you touch and all you see. . is all your life will ever be. . .Pink Floyd
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

I vaguely remember having a family study when I was a young child, and the occasional attempts at it, when we were older (My dad was appointed an elder when the arrangement came in in '72).
    I had two studies with my dad, when I came mid-puberty (now THAT was embarrassing - more for him than me).

Other than that, I never had one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit