Watchtower transformation to JW.org - step by step TTATT recap

by 4thgen 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 4thgen
    4thgen

The Watchtower has been making cunning and calculated changes in the organization to gain more money, power and control. JWN has a multitude of posts on the rapid metamorphosis of the Watchtower into JW.org. Please feel free to comment and interject your thoughts. This list is certainly not definitive. What is missing? What other changes do you see coming?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETTING THE STAGE: The controversial ‘mentally diseased’ article, followed by the subsequent articles relating to being blindly faithful: Regardless if it makes sense from a human standpoint. This started a modern day sifting, leaving behind the credulous ‘company men’, who would be blindly loyal and easily manipulated.

TIGHTENING CONTROL: Only the diehard and gullible would celebrate the 100 year invisible reign of Christ, along with the overlapping generation nonsense. If the rank and file would agree accept that, they could be tricked to forget failed prophecies and they could tighten their control, even to the point of demanding tithing from the impoverished.

ASSET PROTECTION: With the lawsuits against the Watchtower and the millions of dollars paid out as hush money to abuse victims, they began a campaign of extreme asset protection. They built an impressive legal corporate veil to shield themselves from future litigation; while making the individual elder(s) legally responsible for their own actions. Also, the new arrangement for elder appointments would shift legal responsibility from headquarters to the Circuit Overseers.

REAL ESTATE: The Watchtower made billions of dollars with the liquidation of the Brooklyn World Headquarter buildings. They also sold many of the Branch buildings and Kingdom Halls as non-preforming assets. They cunningly positioned themselves to have control over local Kingdom Hall funds, had a scheme for the repayment of renovation loans and got title to Kingdom Halls. They hid all these newly acquired assets under layers of a corporation veil.

Lush retirement complexes are being purchased. This carrot is being dangled for those older ones to keep loyal. Passive income for the Watchtower may also be generated, as the social security checks are diverted to Watchtower coffers.

The cry for more financial aid is coming in to build the new World Headquarters in upstate New York.

REBRANDING: Due to failed predictions, abuse law suits and legal wrangling, a marketing shift is taking place. The changes are coming so fast and furiously, that the average, loyal JW is distracted from the real reason for the shifts.

Jehovah’s Witnesses have always been known for their door-to-door activity. So to distance themselves from their old image, they are now using trolley carts and more mainstream methods of recruiting. The Revised New World Translation was also introduced to make the religion appear more conventional.

MARKETING: JW.org leads to publication cost savings and content control. The promotion of JW.org leads to more internet ‘hits’ and bring their website to a top position for an internet search. Years ago, many were encouraged to dispose of their older literature in favor of the Watchtower library on CD rom. With this new publications list on line, failed predictions and outlandish statements that were made in older publications can now be changed with the click of a button.

TECHNOLOGY & LARGER GATHERINGS: In 2013, they had the first remote annual meeting. Since this event was a success, they could begin the downsizing of the District and Circuit Assemblies for more cost savings. Congregations are now encouraged to purchase big flat screen TV’s for virtual meetings. This leads to less overhead and more control of content. This is eerily reminiscent of the movie 1984, with its cult like gatherings in front of large screens, Big Brother and changing the written publications.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Agreed. I like how they did away with "district conventions" in favor of "regional conventions". They save money by having fewer events, and create the illusion of expansion. They can crowd more dubs ( let's say 25% ) into the same arena they used last time. They rent less buildings and still receive donations. JWs happily drove long distances to attend these magical events. Since the dubs are gullible, the WTBTS can negotiate with host cities and let the distance be damned.

$$$$$$$!!!!!!

DD

• LP97
    LP97

MARKETING: JW.org leads to publication cost savings and content control. The promotion of JW.org leads to more internet ‘hits’ and bring their website to a top position for an internet search. Years ago, many were encouraged to dispose of their older literature in favor of the Watchtower library on CD rom. With this new publications list on line, failed predictions and outlandish statements that were made in older publications can now be changed with the click of a button.

TECHNOLOGY & LARGER GATHERINGS: In 2013, they had the first remote annual meeting. Since this event was a success, they could begin the downsizing of the District and Circuit Assemblies for more cost savings. Congregations are now encouraged to purchase big flat screen TV’s for virtual meetings. This leads to less overhead and more control of content. This is eerily reminiscent of the movie 1984, with its cult like gatherings in front of large screens, Big Brother and changing the written publications.

This is what's scariest for me. They're going to dump paper publications and go straight to online, where information can be controlled and any contradictions or hypocrisies in their publications can be swiftly changed.

GB talks at the recent IC is just the beginning...we will be having virtual talks in the not too distant future I think.

It's perfect for the Borg - they control the masses and make sure their failures are unviewable as well as cutting costs so they get even more money in their pockets.

I'm glad I'm getting out of this cult sooner rather than later. The sad thing is, most JWs do not see the bigger picture and will continue to be loyal sheep to the GB. Makes you sad really.

• steve2
    steve2

The face of the organization is changing - but it is a face that has seen radical change before.

Arguably the biggest transformation the organization went through was in the post World War One period during which time it virtually became Rutherford's organization. His name was emblazoned over all the publications (he shared this penchant for authored writings with his bearded predecessor, Russell). And his ill-tempered response to disunity stamped him as a vicious terrier to Russell's cuddlesome toy dog.

By the late 1920s and certainly before 1935, it was completely transformed organizationally from a loose group known as Bible Students to a sharp-minded, persecution-primed, exclusivist organization known as "Jehovah's Witnesses".

Note, however, the corporate branding remained virtually unchanged with the prominent Watchtower "logo" (of course, back then it would not have been called a logo but more of a brand name). We currently witness the watchtower logo taking a darkened backseat to a new front seat passenger, JW.org.

Now, the organization has well and truly entered the "internet" age.

This may generate enthusiasm within the organization but whether it generates "growth" (i.e., publishers who get out and witness door-to-door) is doubtful. As religions age, so does zeal to do the original work. We'll see more pizzazz among giddy-minded members desperate for signs of focused progress - but there'll be little active growth where it counts. Bums on seats is the weary song of Christendom - which may be more acceptable now to the very organization which has traditionally castigated membership without activity. Chickens come home to roost and ageing terriers lose their interest in meat. THat which was once scorned is now tolerated and later, embraced. Welcome. Sit down. Listen. Give us your money. That's enough. THanks. Come back now, ya hear?!

Along with entry into the internet age, we are observing a siphoning off of its in-your-face marketing impact. I doubt we will ever see the momentous worldwide growth in the organization that characterized the immediate pre-75 years. Then it truly was one of the fastest growing religions on this earth in terms of new publishers preaching the message.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Hi Data, Regional....Humph...you are right, what a scam!

LP97: Absolutely! Your comment made me think about the scripture (or was it a proverbs) about dealing treacherously with a person when they are dwelling in peace with us. It's is abhorant what the WT is doing to the unknowing flock!

Steve, You made me laugh....vicious terrier to Russell's cuddlesome toy dog. I agree, there most likely not be any growth....just contraction. Only the ignorant would worship a website! I guess, change had to come with time. If they didn't update into the internet age, it would be a has-been religion. (It is already to those of us who know TTATT.)

Thanks for posting.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The way the Regional Assy thing has been explained to Dubs locally is a clever spin on the reality as explained above, the reality being pack 'em in to less venues, make more money.

The excuse for this that has been given locally is that the smaller venues keep putting up their prices, so the new arrangement makes sense.

As with all JW.Org type spin, there is an element of truth in this, but it does not tell either the whole, or the real story.

Thanks 4thgen for the summary of crafty manouvering that has got the JW Scam to where it is today, put the way you have, it is so transparently obvious that the whole thing is a business, and the bottom line ($$$) is all the care about.

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

Totally Agree.

As for the last point: TECHNOLOGY & LARGER GATHERINGS

I have seen this happening in one country where the convention was done on one day and it was recorded. Then all other congregations watched that same recording. This is definitly content control and and not allowing speakers to change what the headquarters want to say.

I have a felliing similar to OP that this will be the future trend - reminds me of the sci-fi movies where the top leader is seen on screen everywhere with the same message.

• goddidit
    goddidit

For anyone that doesn't know, websites can be easily archived to your computer with the appropriate software. If anyone wants to do this and needs help just let me know.

There's also this: http://web.archive.org/web/20140705025626/http://www.jw.org/en/

DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER

DOWN WITH THE WATCHTOWER

• clarity
    clarity

Nice information, thanks for starting it.

Watchtowers quote in 1953 shows plainly

from early days, what their intent has always been.........

A continuall mind $@^%!

"Minds must be cleansed" (Watchtower, June 1, 1953, p. 350 par. 24). 24 In these closing days of wickedness Jehovah’s people must demonstrate holiness. They must not foul their minds with the filthy mental food on the propaganda tables of this old world, but must feed on the feast of fat things Jehovah provides. (Isa. 25:6; 28:8.) Minds must be cleansed and made over, mental circuits formed by old-world thinking and acting faded out and new ones put in according to new-world specifications. By privately studying regularly, by attending all meetings regularly, and by engaging in all features of the preaching work regularly mental circuits are deepened and such good activities become habitual, not at all the struggle they are when the mental circuits are weak and faint because used only occasionally. For ourselves and for others, make them strong!—1 Tim. 4:16

clarity

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

4thgen - "The Watchtower has been making cunning and calculated changes in the organization to gain more money, power and control."

I think you're giving them a bit too much credit.

The way I see it, the Org's recent actions smack more of quietly desperate survivalism than a "cunning and calculated" strategy.

x

Religions that will thrive in the Information Age will be the ones that undergo authentic progressive reform, not just a slick makeover.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit