Lillian Gobitas Klose, the Jehovah’s Witness who refused in 1935 to salute the American flag in Minersville, Pa. started a trail that ultimately changed American legal history died Aug. 22 at age 90

by Sol Reform 19 Replies latest social current

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They were persecuted under a few emperors. Nero was mentioned by Prof. Pagels. It was never widespread persecution the way the Church Fathers wrote and famous painting show. I did a college term paper on the Christian martyrs. Christians were tolerated for the most part. Local stressors, such as an economic downturn, might cause an outbreak of martyrdom. Ignatius begs Christians not to interfere. He wants to be eaten by hungry lions. The bad part for the church was that in some local areas your baptism date meant nothing. Your birthday in Christ was your martydom. Eager beavers would be tortured. It was a fad in the church. Under torture the eager ones divulged the names and addresses of other Christians not so eager. The Church decided to make martydom less attractive. The neutral accounts of witnesses were very moving. Christians would grab the bones from the street.

Christians were charged with crimes against the human race. Pagels writes that at some point Christians in several locations voluntarily stayed behind in plagues to help the sick and dispose of dead bodies with dignity. The pagans were impressed.

• Mikado
    Mikado

the courage that took.. I salute them.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The martyrdoms were similar to those in Henry VIII time. He was a Roman Catholic by sensibility and belief. The prayer book stayed the same as before but now it was written in English. It is used to this day in certain parishes. Luther was a real threat to him. Quite a few of his court favorites were Protestants. He looked the other way for these people. Others were executed.

• sir82
    sir82

Based on the "Guest Book" posts at the link above, it seems she remained a JW to her dying day.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Today (one day after the original post) on of the top stories on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/crime/2014/09/03/pkg-florida-pledge-of-allegiance-protest.cnn.html

has a Florida city council meeting that begins with the Pledge. One of the observers refuses to stand and is expelled. The commentary accompanying the clip mentions a 1943 court case without mentioning the JWs specifically. I wonder if the 'protester' did so because of the death of Mrs Klose, or if it was simply a coincidence. Actually, I believe the Gobitas case was the one they lost in the late thirties, and the one they won was the Barnette case in '43.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder how Mrs Klose felt about the worship of the JW.Org Logo ?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"once they even said more jws died in concentration camps than Jews."

Rebel8, could you please give the source, tell me where that was stated?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I decided not to salute the flag during the Movement and Viet Nam. Times had changed. Many black males gave the black power salute. It took the heat away from me. The lawyers decided we had to stand with respect but no hand motions were allowed. High school was so much easier to refuse than grade school. No one was going to expel me. I claimed a little bit of religion.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

I've heard that the medical profession has given accolades to the WTBTS for pushing them to look for other methods of treatment when dealing with JWs.

Dr. Laura read in her talk show some time ago a letter praising the JWs for making the medical profession look for other alternatives.

I've also heard people that aren't JWs refuse blood treatments and then thank the JWs for giving them the liberty to do so while still having the opportunity to receive excellent level of care.

I've been shocked to say the least when I hear these expressions of approval!

Kudos to Lillian Gobitas Klose and all others that force change for the better!!!

GC

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I have just become aware of a 2011 interview of Lillian Gobitas Klose on youtube. Here is a link to an abbreviated version of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sal9CsemNFw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit