THE MUSIC DILEMMA: TO LISTEN OR NOT TOO LISTEN?

by NoMoreHustle 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• NoMoreHustle
    NoMoreHustle

I always thought this was a double standard amongst witnesses. What exactly is acceptable to JW's when it comes to music? An example is Prince. How is it OK to listen to him now that he is a JW (I think), but not before? So can you listen to songs like "Darling Nikki" or "Sexy M.F"? Or can you just listen to his post JW days? Makes no sense at all!

Another example is Pharrell's "Happy", is it OK cause he say's in song "Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth"? JW's are you serious this is a guy that has very racy songs (WHICH I LOVE) called "Truth or Dare" or "Tape You".

Seeing those videos of JW's getting down to "Happy", they must really think that the song has something to do with them or he was inspired to write that song because he knows that "JW's are HAPPY", Give me a break! Anywayz I love both PRINCE & PHARRELL's music & always had!!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I posted a couple of months ago that the Dubs must be all over that "happiness is the truth" line during the meetings, trying to be clever trying to work it into their comments.

I remember when Flip Wilson in his Geraldine character used to say "what you see is what you get", I remember a sister worked that one in her comment one Sunday probably feeling all proud of herself, thought she was being all informative yet comical at the same time.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Who said it's okay to listen to Prince now that he's a JW? I'm not exactly a fan, but I've heard that he stopped performing his more edgy songs after converting, so in that case even Prince is saying, "This music isn't appropriate for a JW."

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I listen to what I want when Im alone. I dont listen to music anywhere but in the car and home, and im usually alone.

however,

when I have people around which is rare, some of my music has no lyrics, more instrumental so im good.

• Terry
    Terry

Jehovah's Witnesses live in a "Mother, may I?" world of Organizational thinking.

They are drones in a hive, busy as bees, one and all identical in every way.

Which is it-- Sad or Pathetic, they have to ask permission to enjoy music and get the official seal of approval on

personal taste and private thoughts?

I'd love to feel pity on them, but--you see--I cannot.

The Society says "Frog" and they leap into the icy pond. If they shivver, let it be on them.

• newdawnfades
    newdawnfades

Prince still plays Darling Nikki live and various other songs which are pretty risque for a JW.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Actually " happiness isn't truth".

Happiness is like a drug, a high that you want to remain on or arive at again. I think it would be more acurate to say" contentment is truth"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit