Was droping bomb on Hiroshima in 1945 evil?

by new hope and happiness 108 Replies latest jw friends

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Sorry for such a depressing question, but i was moved by a picture i saw of the consequences. ( A woman carrying her child) and i realised:-

A) It was a civillian population.

B) I don't see how a nuclear holocaust can ever be right.

C) They could have bombed Tokyo where all the generals lived but chose Hiroshima.

D) The Irony after the bombing America conceeded to many of Japans terms.

Your opinion would be valued.

• Mikado
    Mikado

I used to think it was terrible but unavoidable until one day it occured to me they could have so easily warned the Japanese... you know along the lines of ...you have 12 hous to evacuate xxxx town, THEN dropped the bomb. determined as the Japanese were they could have used that as a face saving way to surrender and all those people not been murdered.. just my two cents worth...

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

And dont forget a second bomb was dropped on Nakasaki.

• Laika
    Laika

I read a book about Nagasaki recently, painful read.

I agree with you, one of the greatest evils of man's history.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yes Laika: But is it appropriate to judge past generations from the vantage point of the present?

• smiddy
    smiddy

An interesting topic

Their have been , for , and , against , arguments/discussions on the rights or wrongs of dropping Atomic bombs on Japan at the closing of WW2 .

Hiroshima was the first A-Bomb dropped then Nagasaki was the second A-Bomb dropped on Japan

This being a jehovahs witness pro and con forum , in other words either side can present their veiw ,it will be interesting to hear peoples responses .

One thing that is apparent to me is , a precedent has been set.

Any nation , terroist group , can claim legitamacy on a past precedent to carry out a similar act against a perceived foe.

Sooner or later the world is going to have to face the reality that their will be anti -western groups that will obtain nuclear potential by one means or another , and will have no qualms about using it to gain their superiourity , the precedent has been set in 1945 .

smiddy

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

The precedent that was set if any was that these bombs were used to end a 6 year conflict world wide, not to start one. If memory serves correctly the Japanese were given the option to surrender,after the first and warned of the second in advance. However they did not react and neither did they give up after the second, but only once they had been threatened with a third, which we did not have. In fact I believe that more civilians died during the one night of fire bombing on Dresden at the close of the European campaign, than at Hiroshima. It just goes to show that war whether nuclear or conventianal causes loss and should be avoided at all costs, but people of the world are slow learners! BB

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

And we should remember that the nuclear radiation left by the bomb affected subsequent generations ( deformed births, illness and early death of survivors)

• Laika
    Laika

But is it appropriate to judge past generations from the vantage point of the present?

Sure it is, if we can judge the Holocaust as evil we can judge the A Bomb the same way.

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

So are we saying that causing the death of any human is an evil act?

If that is not the case then are we suggesting that there is some scale of evil of such actions? Is it number or reason dependant?

At what level are we suggesting that the killing of a human is an act of good?

Can this ever be true?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit