JDubs and home schooling

by Ignoranceisbliss 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Recently I had a conversation with a close witness friend. I have always viewed him as moderate. Not full j-dub nut bag witness style. Because of this I was shocked when he told me that they are starting to home school theit kids this year. It is a program designed by a witness. She incorporates a lot of the jw.org content into the curriculum. This is a decision that I can't respect.

even when I was fully indoctrinated I always thought home schooling was a bad decision for witnesses. The kids always seem socially awkward as they get older.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Even when I was 'in' it was somewhat surprising that the borg didn't push home schooling. Lets face it, JW kids free themselves from the cult by seeing that the rest of the world is having fun, and by learning things like evolution in high school.

I really hope there isn't a push going on toward this home school bullshit.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am against home schooling. We pay for it in taxes. I am surprised Witnesses did not do it generations ago. Talk about isolation.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

They have a much better chance at keeping their kids in the Borg if they homeschool.

• sparky1
    sparky1

A have a really great experience about home schooling:

One of the Elders in the hall that I faded from had his two children home schooled by his wife. I have some worldly friends and no one considers me a witness anymore. ( I think it just faded from their consciousness) Anyway, one of my friends is a teller in a bank. She told me that one day this home schooled Elders son came into the bank and placed 87 CENTS into the change conversion machine. He took his receipt up to her window and asked for the paper money and to have the balance put into his savings account! This guy is 20 years old. After he left one of the other tellers said to my friend, 'There goes another one of your religious home schooled people!' Jehovahs Witnesses don't have a clue how STUPID that they look to the outside world.

• zeb
    zeb

"She incorporates a lot of jw.org content" thus revealing her own lack of resources and imagination.

Kids need a broad based education with different inputs. .. Also as was mentioned once in wt some teenagers were hammering their ill informed parents about all the 'immorality' at school in an effort to get out of school and the work it entails so they could drop it all together and go to work. $$$.

I had a relative who would cut up Awake magazine or copy verbatim paragraphs of same to fill her assignments and she was most put out when the teacher wrote that she should be looking for a broader base of information. In effect the student concerned was being plain lazy with the permission of the cult due to its constant projection of itself as almighty and the only thing that matters.

Sparky 1. Sadly correct where there is no admissable standards applied to home schoolers.

Any move by wts to promote hs would be of serious concern to any reasonable government as the education standard of jw is low (Please note all the outbursts against education by the wts down the years) and ignorance breeds more of the same.

• gingerbread
  • sylvlef
    sylvlef

i have been home schooled from the start until i was 14. I remember This was one of the things That made me slightly inadequate when returning to the "real" school world, things were way different than in my cosy house, and for sure it Is the reason i got baptised at 16. Because i did not have enough view of how it Was outside the jw world, then i thought the best place to be was among jw...

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Gingerbread. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if that's the same one or not. Regardless that was interesting to check out.

In my area I have seen a recent trend towards home schooling. hopefully it doesnt get more traction.

• Strangelove
    Strangelove

"They have a much better chance at keeping their kids in the Borg if they Homeschool."

True, true. In a very sad way.

I was homeschooled for High School. And lemme tell ya, I'll be feeling the effects for a very long time. Socially Awkward, (I'm getting better as I become more worldly) No preparation for College, etc.

Though I did leave the Borg 2 years after finishing. Though I blame the internet, my literature and just being a more critical and free thinker than most. To those who were forced to be Homeschooled, there is hope. You can still be successful and the more people you meet, the better it seems to get. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit