Amway

by bobld 19 Replies latest jw friends

• bobld
    bobld

WT Inc./J.W. are similar to Amway,One promosies paradise the other financial freedom.

The top get all the benefits.The R&F do all the work.

Amway has rallies/seminars/meeting/etc.

WT Inc. has R.C.(was D.C.)/C.A./TMS/etc.

Recruitment: Amway meet for coffee for a financial discussion only to invite you to a hotel meeting but don't say what it is about.When you get there you say WTF it is an Amway meeting.

WT Inc/J.W. give you a tract only to invite you to visit their web.site.You see the web.site you say WTF it is Jehovahs Witnesses.

• naazira
    naazira

Great analysis!

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

I've been to a couple Amway meetings since I had family and friends doing it. The Amway meetings are set up exactly how JW meetings go. Everything is kinda secretive but with a recruiting front. The seats were set up exactly the same with a bunch of suits around. They love bomb you just the same. In the amway meeting they talked about marrying somebody from within the organization because you're gonna need all the good association (they literally used this term). Then I'm shown around like some trophy. I felt like I was in the kingdom hall day 1, all over again. They have their own language and behavior that I found was exactly like the JW mindset. I wouldn't recommend it.

• MadGiant
  • DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

About 20 years ago, a long time friend of my, that had gotten me involved in a number of "MLM's", called me with a NEW program he wanted to share with me. I ask him what it was, he said, "I can't tell you. You will find out during the meeting" I told him, Ok, I will come, but if it turns out to be Amway, I will KILL you! He then said, don't come!

Dwain

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

bobld -

I am writing a new book on my life before and after my Bethel experiences as a follow up to "Journey to God's House". One of the chapters in the book is entitled "A network marketing malaise". In it I make exactly the same parallels as you have just done in this post about network marketing companies. I felt compelled to tell you this because when I publish my book later you might feel I got this idea from you post. I assure you, I wrote this chapter a number of months ago. I guess great minds think alike?

I'd like to share the opening for this chapter here so you can get an idea of what it contains:

---------------------------

A network marketing malaise

When I returned from Bethel, I needed money badly and was desperate for a job. While I did find work, I wanted to do better than just get by. I wanted to "get ahead". So, one of the things I did was begin my college classes again. Another thing I did was get into network marketing, or what some would call multi-level marketing.

I don't want anyone to think that I have something against network marketing companies. I suppose there are legitimate ones at one end of the spectrum, with pyramid schemes at the other end. I suppose that some of these companies actually make money for the rank and file who work with them. I suppose some of these companies might actually be good.

I suppose.

What I do want you to know is that my personal experience with the large, long established and well known network marketing company I was associated with was a complete bust. I never made one thin dime of profit after subtracting my expenses. In fact, I lost money.

Maybe that was my fault. Maybe I wasn't cut out for that kind of business. Maybe I didn't try hard enough.

Maybe.

Or maybe it just felt too familiar to my religion and that made me feel uncomfortable. Maybe I experienced so much malaise from this familiarity that it was difficult to overcome mentally.

Maybe I should explain...

The recruitment = field service

As I was washing my hands in the restroom at my place of employment one day, a friendly chap with a British accent struck up a conversation with me. He began telling me about financial freedom by working for myself rather than slaving away for some uncaring employer who only made money from my sweat. Intrigued, I accepted his offer of a free lunch to hear more.

During lunch, he showed me a simple plan to become fabulously wealthy. He claimed that he had only been in his own business for a few months and was well onto the road to financial freedom. He mentioned that the field we both worked in made peanuts compared to what his new business was raking in. Since he was doing what I did longer than I had been, and since he made more than me, I was impressed that his other business was that lucrative. He bluntly claimed that if I were to "join his team", he could make me as successful as he was, and in short order too.

The recruitment technique that he used on me that day was not all that different from the field ministry approaches used by Jehovah's Witnesses. They are taught to strike up conversations anywhere and everywhere about the Kingdom of God. This is called "incidental witnessing". Rather than offer financial freedom and wealth, Jehovah's Witnesses offer a new system of things in a fabulous earthly paradise where everyone will stay young forever. That paradise would be coming very soon too, just about as quickly as all that money was to be hitting my bank account for starting my own network marketing business.

--------------------------

The chapter goes on from there making parallels to all the network marketing techniques and approaches. It was eerie for me when I joined that company because it felt a whole lot like being a Jehovah's Witness, only they promised me financial paradise rather than a literal one.

I hope to fininsh my book in the next month or so.

Brock Talon

• BucketShopBill
  • Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Before I became a JW my ex husband and I got involved with Amway. We worked out butts off and made very little money. My husband Of 32 years and I got involved with Market America and it is just like Amway. We weren't in it too long because we didn't care for it and we have a good business we have had for well over 30 years that takes up our time.

if you go to Steven Hassan's site freedomofminds.com you will find some very interesting info on Amway along with court cases. I sat one afternoon reading the info and you will see how it very simular to the WTBTS.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

BTW Brock, I am looking forward to your next book because I enjoyed your first one.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Cross-referencing to another current thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/282989/1/Herbalife-and-the-Watchtower-Comparison-Herba-life-is-under-attack

Hi Brock, I'm looking forward to your new book

What I do want you to know is that my personal experience with the large, long established and well known network marketing company I was associated with was a complete bust. I never made one thin dime of profit after subtracting my expenses. In fact, I lost money.

Maybe that was my fault. Maybe I wasn't cut out for that kind of business. Maybe I didn't try hard enough.

Maybe.

Or maybe it just felt too familiar to my religion and that made me feel uncomfortable. Maybe I experienced so much malaise from this familiarity that it was difficult to overcome mentally.

You nailed it. I was with a MLM company for a while many years ago (not Amway). I still buy some of their product but the business side quickly fizzled. I think I made a profit one month (peanuts), broke even a few months, and made a loss the rest LOL. However, I learned some skills and traveled to some new places - not a total waste.

The product and business plan are said to be the best on the market. If you fail at the business, it's your fault. The business plan set-up isn't to blame, oh no. It's you. Some products were hailed as magic bullets to solve an array of health or cleaning problems. If a customer had problems with the product, it's either your fault for not showing her how to use it properly or the customer's fault for not using it properly, or she didn't really give it a chance. It isn't that the product just doesn't work for her problem.

Always had to smile and be positive; always had to big up the benefits of the product and business. Once, when I was seemingly doing OK and beginning to rise up the levels, I was interviewed for a promotional video. I was enthusiastically asked if was I making good money. I told them the truth - 'not really.' Needless to say, I didn't make it into the video.

Even back then, as a loyal dub, the similarities between MLM meetings and sales methods and JW meetings and FS were striking. Everyone was a potential recruit or customer. My dilemma was, when I casually encountered somebody and we got chatting, do I 'witness' to them or 'sell' to them? Truth is, I didn't like to do either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit