Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses introduce themselves when knocking on doors?

by Randomthoughts 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sylvlef
    sylvlef

hi.

Never tell That we are jw or the householder Will tell us to go to hell;)

as a still "active" jw for family sake, when i go to FS (not more than 3 hours per month...) i quickly say That we are jw so That every time the householder Will say he is not interrested...less time lost;)

but personnally i NEVER give my name, because i do not want to be exposed as a jw anywhere later(say...at work or else) while i do not believe those BS. I notice That people do not recognize me later in another context (gas station,bookshop,etc) than the formal door to door.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I always gave my first name at the door. Don't they even give their first names as introduction anymore?

I'm thinking telling peoplle they are Jehovah's Witnesses or not may change soon. A lot of people are afraid to open their doors to strangers and want to see I.D. Most people already assume they are Jehovah's Witnesses anyway. I remember getting people at home the first couple of doors,then,they start calling each other,then,lots of not-at-homes,lol.

• Perry-Zephyr
    Perry-Zephyr

One does not know what situation has arisen or may arise. There may be physical danger or predispositions people may have. Many people are misinformed about the practical truths. It is shrewd to see the calamity and avoid it if possible.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses introduce themselves when knocking on doors?

The WBT$ and Jehovah's Witnesses have a Terrible Reputation..

People don`t want them on their doorstep..

...........................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, it is extremely annoying - but it is an old trick from way back. They have learnt that they get further with their spiel if they don't tell householders who they are.

However, regardless of how they introduce themselves, this is a perfect opportunity for you to be assertive.

Your own opening line upon opening the door and not knowing who they are could be:

"I only greet people when they tell me upfront their affiliation. Which religious group do you represent?"

And, if they do not tell you, use the stuck record approach. I'd say that if they haven't told you by the second or third time you ask, you should feel okay about saying, "Because you will not tell me your religious affiliation, I will not be speaking to you beyond saying, Good day". And close your door.

• Randomthoughts
    Randomthoughts

The previous time they knocked they started talking about something until I interrupted and asked "Jehovah's Witnesses?" at which they both smiled and replied "yes".

I said "No thank you" as I wasn't up for discussion. The chap smiled politely but the woman with said "No?", I again said "No thank you" and she again asked "No?" but it was the tone she used, it was like a smug satisfying 'how dare you say no, well you had your chance' and they both walked away.

I may engage them next time but last time I had a discussion they obviously assumed I was interested and returned a week later depsite me asking them not to make me a return visit.

• toweragent
    toweragent

As a servant, I still have to conduct my own group and have to go out on weekends. I try to waste as much time as possible without my wife getting upset or making the publishers feel guilty, but when I do have to go door to door I say,

"Hello, my name is (Toweragent) and this is my wife (Hardcore) and as Jehovahs Witnesses we are promoting a website with answers to life's big questions, here is your tract. Review it at your own convenience."

Easy peasy, wham bam.

At least, that is how we are instructed in our neck of the mid-west. We are always told to identify ourself as witnesses and give them our name.

I'm surprised it's not like that everywhere.

• steve2
    steve2

Toweragent - good point. I do not think JWs are told to withhold who they are when the door-knock. Witnesses themselves seem pretty much able to identify themselves immediately or more indirectly.

• bigmac
    bigmac

good morning---we are Jehov

SLAM

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I nearly always used to identify as a JW , it saved time, and I was good at overcoming objections and getting a conversation going.

I think most who go D2D are not taught such skills, so delaying the moment an objection arises means they do less doors than if they I.D.d straight away.

I have worked along with many JW's like that, and I could tell the Householder was simply waiting for the break in the spiel where they could pose their objection.

The thing is 99.999% of householders have clocked who you are before you open your mouth, and often before they open the door.

Who else knocks on your door on a Saturday morning with the guy in a cheap suit and wearing a tie, and his wife wearing dowdy clothes with a too long skirt ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit