help needed....cult question from watchtower

by goingthruthemotions 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

so i was looking at the boards not too long ago and saw a list of questions that were related to whether or not a religion was a cult that looked like it came from the watchtower.

i've been trying to find those questions again so i could find the watchtower and hopefully one day show this to my wife who is still asleep to the TROOF of the GB.

the help would be greatly appreciated.

Shamlom

GTTM

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I think I remember that article too...but Im not sure how to track it down.

Would a search on the "famous" JW.ORG website under the topic of "are Jehovah's Witnesses a cult?" bring up any results?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't know if this quote from the 15th February 1994 WT is of any help ?

" Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah’s Witnesses do this? Is their worship cloaked in secrecy? Are they following and venerating a human leader? Pointedly, are Jehovah’s Witnesses a cult?

They follow Jesus Christ as their Leader and as Head of the Christian congregation. It was Jesus who said: “Do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your teacher, whereas all you are brothers. Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for your Leader is one, the Christ.”—Matthew 23:8-12."

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I don't remember which Watchtower it was in, however you could go to the JW.org website and look under "frequently asked questions" it is there under the subcategory, "organization. Maybe that will help.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

it wont be in the jw site, they only go back to 2000

try to get hold of a wt cd from at least as far back as 2009, it might be in an article from the 60s or 70s

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi goingthruthemotions, Here is the current JW.org explaination of how to recognize a cult is: http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/are-jehovahs-witnesses-a-cult/#?insight[search_id]=9d26e05b-4c9d-4994-9af6-3d9c69d062ed&insight[search_result_index]=0. Are "Some" [people] cult-exit counselors?

How do you feel that your wife would respond to you asking her, "Is JW.org a cult-exit counselor or a religion? If you are afraid to read how cult-exit counselors determine when an organization manipulates and victimizes its members, you are probably being manipulated by JW.org. Prove to yourself that you are not manipulated by JW.org by visiting websites like www.freedomofmind.com."

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

This could be the list you were referring to, with the exact reference in the footnotes...
    "References:
    1. Awake!, published by Watchtower, January 22, 1990, p. 10."
    http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2012/04/watchtower-identifies-brainwashing.html

And from Jwfacts...
    "The Watchtower acknowledges that it is possible to persuade people to act in a certain way and shows it is well aware of methods that can be used to influence people to act en masse."...
    "The person most easily brainwashed is the "normal," average individual. Such a one is already conditioned to accept opinions of others rather than to form strong convictions of his own."
    Awake! 1980 Jan 8 pp.13-14 Has Mass Persuasion Affected You?...
    "The following quotes on propaganda are excerpts from the Awake! 2000 June 22 in the articles "The Manipulation of Information" and "Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda!"
    "The cunning propagandist loves such shortcuts-especially those that short-circuit rational thought. Propaganda encourages this by agitating the emotions, by exploiting insecurities, by capitalizing on the ambiguity of language, and by bending rules of logic. …
    Certainly, the handiest trick of the propagandist is the use of outright lies. …
    Another very successful tactic of propaganda is generalization. Generalizations tend to obscure important facts about the real issues in question, and they are frequently used to demean entire groups of people. …
    Some people insult those who disagree with them by questioning character or motives instead of focusing on the facts. …
    The sly art of propaganda can paralyse thought, prevent clear thinking and discernment and condition individuals to act en masse. …
    Emotional appeals are fabricated by practiced publicists, who play on feelings as skillfully as a virtuoso plays the piano. For example,fear is an emotion that can becloud judgment. …
    THERE is a difference-a big difference-between education and propaganda. Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists relentlessly force you to hear their view and discourage discussion.Often their real motives are not apparent. They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target. …
    The propagandist makes sure that his message appears to be the right and moral one and that it gives you a sense of importance and belonging if you follow it. You are one of the smart ones, you are not alone, you are comfortable and secure-so they say. …
    So we need to be selective. We need to scrutinize whatever is presented to us, deciding what to accept and what to reject. …
    Also, if possible, try to check the track record of those speaking. Are they known to speak the truth?"
    http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/fear-cult-mind-control.php

• Bart Belteshassur
  • Bart Belteshassur
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

I've asked Atlantis for the January 22nd 1990 Awake!, in case it's the right one. Will you let us know how your wife reacts? Take care.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit