WT required to submit financials in Mexico starting in 2015

by MaybeSo 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aroq
    Aroq

hoser, I saw the link you posted and have a question: If armageddon is very soon, then why the long term investments? Would going to college be considered a long term investment?

• hoser
    hoser

for sure Aroq. My thinking is the same. They have 34 million in long term investments so it looks like the end is not as near as they are saying it is.

Go to college my friend.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

I think it has something to do with certain religious cults in Mexico being used by the narcotraficantes to launder money and recruit.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Sir, please don't suggest such a thing...the Caymans would be totally ruined then!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Such a step might encourage change in America. I am wary of a govt. collecting such information. Time will tell. I am certain WT Legal is not pleased. Do you know if foreign assets are included in the report?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Such a step might encourage change in America. I am wary of a govt. collecting such information.

It's the Government that has created the "religion loophole". Thus, only the government can change that. Your average taxpayer would VOTE FOR the change that forces religion to pay taxes. Most see religion as just another business. If it came down to raising individual income taxes or taxing religion, Joe Public would vote to tax The Church.

Doc

• Londo111
    Londo111

It’s called transparency. Organizations should be open with this information not just to the government, but to the public. Ideally, ‘we the people’ are the government, though unfortunately that is not often how it works out.

• avaddohn94
    avaddohn94

We know the organization JW.ORG loves top ‘pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar’ (Matt. 22:21)!

France’s case comes to mind and also a legal claim the Watchtower recently made in Mexico to recover VAT appealing to their “religious status”. I presume they are already planning the respective modifications to prevent incurring income taxes on their literature, assets or personnel.

The official communication by the Mexican authorities (http://www.asociacionesreligiosas.gob.mx/work/models/AsociacionesReligiosas/pdf/Varios/Resolucion_Fiscal.pdf) states that “all religious organizations are subject to IT payment under applicable regulations for revenue obtained from the sale for profit purposes of assets other than their fixed assets such as religious books or objects as well as revenue obtained from interest and premiums”.

I’m no expert on these topics (neither a native speaker so I apologize in advance if I’m not conveying the right ideas but I’m doing my best here) but who knows if these laws are behind the recent changes in their donations arrangements in several countries (including Mexico).

The letter dated March 26, 2014 (BOE) (you can view a copy in Spanish in Hildebrando's blog: http://hildeydesa.blogspot.mx/2014/04/carta-260314-uso-de-la-propiedad-de-la.html) regarding the use of the property owned by the congregation clearly states that “if a kingdom hall is used for housing or commercial purposes, the tax exemption granted to a congregation could be in jeopardy”.

So, there you have it. The Watchtower in Central America will surely fight back any attempt made by the authorities to regulate their finances (I’m sure the Catholic Church and other mainstream religions in that country will do the same. In the end, it’s their business and they won’t easily surrender their tax-exempt status). Let’s just hope Mexican authorities are firm enough to take these religious organizations in hand. In Mexico, they already did it when they forced the “Torre del Vigía A.C.” to turn into the “Torre del Vigía A.R.” (i.e. to abandon their “cultural veil” and accept all the obligations and duties expected from a religion).

Time will tell,

Regards,

Avaddohn94

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't believe American taxpayers want religions taxed. We are a much more religious country than European countries are. I don't know how Canada and Mexico align compared to America. Certain religions that are not the religion of the taxpayer may be unpopular. There are historical reasons for the tax exemption. When it started, religion provided the only social services. The role of govt changed dramatically with FDR's New Deal. People saw no reason to protect children in factories. Most Americans believe that religions are better providers of social services than govt. Obama shocked many people when he expanded faith-based social programs. He believes in religion more than Bush did. Few things in life are all good or all bad. Don't think the average American hates religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit