being locked up in organisaton

by nad 12 Replies latest jw friends

• conflicted
    conflicted

NAD,

Don't despair. I'm not sure of your particular circumstances, but it sounds like you have family in "the truth" and you want to leave without alienating yourself from them.

If you are financially able - move out. Continue to go to meetings and slowly ease your way out. There will be a time when first your family, then the elders visit you and urge you to return to "the flock"At this point you will have to stand your ground - state what you believe and above all DONT ARGUE with them. In their eyes they can lose sheep, but not an argument - thay are always right. If this is done with tact you may be able to maintain good relations with your family.

Hopefully your family will understand - maybe even see it from your side, but you have to prepare for the fact that they may not.

The longer you've been in the harder it will be to leave.

I'm not saying this is the only way to do get out, just one way.

Hope this helps.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

nad,
    How old are you? One piece of advice. Be yourself, especially with your family. I hid things for many years and then when I finally did get out at the ripe old age of forty, it was and still is a huge shock to my family. They blame everyone and everything but the right reasons, just the simple fact that I don't believe it is the truth anymore.
    TW
    P.S. Welcome to this site. Read on I think you will find it interesting.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Nad:

I agree with conflicted. Assuming you are young and living with your family, making a sudden break now will cause enormous conflict in your family. Continue to go to meetings and in field service, but also continue to educate yourself about the WT society. Don't provoke arguments or heavily criticise the WT. This is hard, but once you have gained more independence in life, you will be in a much better position to gain freedom.

Hope things work out; let us know how it goes.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit