weird: passing around literature fragments in prison

by Magnum 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

I don’t have any specific references, but over the years I remember reading in the mags and hearing in talks stories of imprisoned JWs who would somehow get a piece of a page of a JW magazine or an article or something like that and pass it around and get spiritually nourished by it as if it almost had a magical or supernatural nature. Does anybody else remember such?

I always thought it just didn’t make sense. For one thing, most of the material in the mags was (and, of course, still is) fluff, so what are the chances that if you got a magazine fragment, you would get anything of substance? What if you were imprisoned in Nazi Germany and you were spiritually starving (as JWs say) and somebody smuggled in a piece of a mag for you, and you happened to get the page with the article “Let’s Send a Greeting Card!” or “An Interview with Mr. Water Buffalo”? Wouldn’t that be spritually nourishing?

It was just so odd to me the way they made the literature seem so critical to one’s spirituality - as already mentioned, as if one was in extreme danger or was extremely deprived if he couldn’t read at least a fragment of a page of the Watchower mag.

I think I heard stories about smuggling in Bible fragments, too, but it was the stories about the literature that always seemed so odd.

Any thoughts?

• prologos
    prologos

You are right on. As a publishing company that would be their main concern, and sadly the members did not see the idolatry of it, risking their lives for what is not nourishment.

A sister in Quebec had her unbelieving husband hide the banned literature (with laughable content) in his personal locker. in the police station. He was a policemen with premier Duplessie's squads.

The duplicity of Duplessie's dupes, or

the power of ladies with the ladle and other assets.

risking real life for rags. and

the conflicting new lite that filtered through, wrought havoc among the brothers in hiding, in the camps, for they took their old light doctrines seriously.

• clarity
    clarity

Oh ya heard that a lot! Maybe it was just

holding on to a bit of "watchtower" spiritual

paper that did the trick! ahahahhahhh

• Magnum
    Magnum

I meant to say, too, in the OP that it was made to seem that just reading some lines in the Watchtower would have a spiritually invigorating or rejuvenating effect.

• prologos
    prologos

no placibos are more powerful than spiritual ones, amulets.

if the effects were real, why would these old printed wt doctrines now be classed with the mentally deseased apostate teachings?

• Magnum
    Magnum

Yeah, good point, prologos. Just think, that piece of a Watchtower that somebody cherished and passed around and read over and over again probably contained material that's now considered to be out of date and for which one might be disfellowshipped for actively teaching.

• jw07
    jw07

Probably they passed it around tearing off peices to roll weed in before smoking it

• smiddy
    smiddy

Yep your right , the gestapo searched brothers households and could not see /find watchtowers hidden in a closet , jehovahs angles blinded them , so they couldnt see , and the brothers could continue to provide food at the proper time .

This type of propaganda was rife 30/40 years ago.

smiddy

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I don't think it's weird. The fragments being smuggled in would only contain what was deemed faith-strengthening or doctrinally important. The act of taking great risks to smuggle in this stuff gives the message:

- Jehovah/the Org. has not forgotten you;

- Keep your resolve to serve Jehovah/the Org;

- We're sticking it to the 'man' who bans us and our preaching and even locking us up won't stop us, so nyah!

'Dissident' groups of all flavors have done similarly when being oppressed and imprisoned.

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

Was this to do with those who were detained during WW1, for printing subversive literature, and objectors which explains why it had to be smuggled.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit