What the Witnesses call "studying."

by stillin 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• abbasgreta
    abbasgreta

It really annoyed me when my mother would menacingly ask within 2 minutes of visiting her, "have you DONE the days text?" or "we DO the days text in the evening". What constitutes 'DOING' it', I ask myself? The majority (I have to admit, me included) just read it in 20 seconds flat to be able to bring a point of it up with their service partner to show that they had indeed DONE it. Then enjoying the superiority feelings if the other hadn't.

The inevitable asterisk at the bottom of a watchtower paragraph, "see wt 15/4/00(2) paras 5,6." Then an elderette or spinster with arm stretched immediately heavenwards dying to be picked because they had 'researched' it. Groan inwardly.

Or elderly, poorly educated Sis Dimwit who had looked up the word 'exacerbate' in the dictionary and then merely repeated the definition word for word and nothing else for her answer.

We took to doodling in the margins during the wt 'study' for ages before we left. A firm favourite was a Furbie drawn to perfection by my husband saying, "mmmm boring....."

I wonder what wt 15/4/00(2) paras 5,6 actually says? Or was it written 4/15/00...

• Terry
    Terry

The magisterium requires rote learning by short-circuiting your personal curiosity.

The WTS gives you the questions which can only be said to "answer correctly" from the provided material.

Outside research is considered "independent thinking" and consequently, "disloyal."

The bottom line: INDOCTRINATION is the goal

Each and every link to brain washing is conducting by REPLACEMENT of you natural processing with SUBSTITUTE processes.

For example:

A nominal Christian already has belief and confidence in the Bible.

The WTS grafts in THEIR INTERPRETATION as exclusionary.

Result: the Bible is bumped out without a conscious decision being made to reject it.

Example: Jesus Christ is the focus of faith, belief, love and salvation for the nominal Christian.

The WTS replaces the importance of Jesus by making the GOVERNING BODY (organization) the channel of communication.

The Mediator (Jesus) is snatched away and replaced with the TRUTH (i.e. whatever the GB says is true.)

Little by little, every brick in the structure of understanding, faith, hope, belief and confidence is replaced

by the Watchtower indoctrination.

When all is said and done, you still have the illusion but the reality is a FACADE and a changeling.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

- -

For those of you that would like to learn how to really study, here is a short video by David Myers on the SQ3R Technique (aka SQRRR):

- -

SQ3R Technique

- -

• Survey
    • Question
    • Read
    • Recite/Retrieve
    • Review

- -

This might appear to resemble what happens during a WT study, but the resemblance is only superficial. The important difference is that during real study a person's critical thinking skills are actively analyzing and assessing the material.

- -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit