Split infinitive ruins society

by the follower 10 Replies latest jw friends

• the follower
    the follower

A couple of years ago the Queen in her address to the nation used a split infinitive for the first time. Needless to say, society has been reeling from the consequences of this lapse of judgement ever since. There are fewer things I feel more strongly about. The increasing decadence in society can in many ways be traced back to this lapse of judgement on the part of our monarch. Giving into the forces of "liberalism" in this seemingly small area may not seem much, but as the years wear on and the split infinitive becomes ever more common, many are having to reevaluate their previously held view that this is simply a minor development in the form of the English language. The part that Star Trek also played in furthering this disastrous trend with its catch phrase "to boldly go where no man [one] has gone before" should not be ignored. Thus pressure is coming at us from both the most respected and the least respected quarters of society. The entertainment industry and our Royal Family have joined together in an Unholy Alliance, promoting the split infinitive without regard its resultant effect upon the masses. Let not this trend despoil our tongue, let it not ruin our very lives.

• herbert
    herbert

The thing that really sucks is that when one posts something about bad grammar, poor syntax, or their ilk, one falls into the same trap:

Giving into the forces of "liberalism" in this seemingly small area may not seem much
    I suppose this is not a split infinitive but an unsplit preposition, which is even more of a thing badly too [sic] do.

berther [sicer still]

• COMF
    COMF

There are fewer things I feel more strongly about.

Look out, that preposition's going to fall any moment now.

Linguists today are justly dubious about such things [as rules on split infinitives], and most spend their time on descriptive grammars: descriptions of how people really speak and write, instead of rules on how they should. They're doing important work, not least by arguing that no language or dialect is inherently better than any other. They've done a signal service in reminding us that Black English is as "legitimate" a dialect as the Queen's English, and that speaking the way Jane Austen writes doesn't make you more righteous than someone who uses y'all. They've also demonstrated that many self-styled "grammar" experts know next to nothing about grammar as it's studied by professionals, and many aren't much better informed about the history of the language.

Guide to Grammar and Style:
    Prescriptive versus Descriptive Grammars.

- http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/p.html

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

All this having been said: should those of us who do not know proper grammer, should we continue to try to communicate ideas or should we defer under the assumption that only grammarian's have good ideas. Reminds me of the ridiculous assumption that only "art shools" produce artists. All of us have a "rich" interior life and it is the responsibility of the intelligent among us to note that life in each other regardles of grammer. " ..they squeeze out the gnat and swallow down the camel."

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

I don't know what you are talken about. Whats a split infinative anyway? Whats this got too do about the Society anyway? I've never heard them say that this as one of the problems that Jehovahs gonna wipe out??

• Bang
    Bang

It's a strange thing to hear about grammatical etiquette having a devastating affect on a society that changes word meanings.

Ask your average dub what jealous means and they think envy: ask them what envy means and they think covet: ask them what charity is and they think almsgiving: ask them what humble means and they think quiet and subservient: ask what worship means and they think homage: ask what awful means and they think distasteful, and on and on and on.

Split infinitives?

But the wtbts is not response-able (I think that sort of means documented duty to jws). Anyway, as they have sequested accurate English bible translations to start their own up, maybe some strict English lessons would help decipher the lies?

Bang

• the follower
    the follower

i is not talking about *the* society, but society in general, do you hears what i say?

about descriptive vs. prescriptive: the notion that language is determined from the bottom up is peculiar to the english language in my view. take the germans who recently reformed their spelling for example. this was not decided by the man on the street. rules were made on a high level which ordinary users of the language are now expected to follow.

rules are what hold us together man, i is the follower.

• Francois
    Francois

Split infinitives?

I'd just settle for people using the contraction for "you are" correctly. Almost uniformly, folks here and on most other BBs use "your" when they really mean "you're." It drives me nutz.

Trying to get folks to avoid split infinites is reaching awfully high when they won't even use contractions properly.

My two cents.

Francois

• herbert
    herbert

Francois,

Your entirely correct - its something that drives me nuts too.

herbert

ps: the local NPRradio guy says "your invited to call in." I know for sure that he is saying your and not you're. I cringe every time I hear it.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

I split my pants once, I was on the dace floor and did some splits

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit