Old Light, New Light 1, 2, 3

by RR 10 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

You know, the Society sure could use some advice from C.T. Russell.

"If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now: But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning., and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New Light" never extinguishes older "Light," but adds to it. If you were lighting up a building containing seven gas jets you would not extinguish one every time you lighted another, but would add one light to another and they would be in harmony and thus give increase of light; So is it with the light of truth; the true increase is by adding to, not by substituting one for another" Zion's Watch Tower February 1881, page 188

• Carmel
    Carmel

Thanks RR!

This is a keeper! I'll have to print this one and stow it for future use!

carmel

• graceabounds
    graceabounds

You know....it seems like the witnesses had a good idea, and
    the right motives at the time the religion began.
    The question:
    What happened??????
    I printed this one, too. Absolutely a "keeper".

graceabounds

• RR
    RR

That's what happens when you exchange one idea for another. Seems Judge Rutherford had other plans once he took over and tranformed what was left of the Society into the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Good quote RR. By the thread title I thought it was going to be samples of the different editions of Rutherford's Light book
    showing yet another great piece of fraud, deception and false prophesy all on the same page!!!
    I'll get my copies out tomorrow.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Good post R R,

If the modern Jehovah's Witnesses were allowed to read Pastor Russell, they would also realize that their religious beliefs were not Russell, but Rutherford.

Athanasius

• RR
    RR

Hi Athanasius, yes I agree. It seems that many JW's jump on my case when I tell them, the Society frowns upon reading old literatyre especially Russell's writings. They laugh and say their halls have his books, they have his books and have read them, and although I don't doubt that, you and I know there are unwritten rules and double tongued saying.

I have know JW's who were persecuted, reproved and even DF'd for reading, studying and agreeing with Russell.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

" NOTHING FAILS IN RELIGION...................... LIKE SUCCESS."--------------RALPH WALDO EMERSON

• greven
    greven

thanx for the quote! finally the entire quote not just one or two lines.

I agree that the way the started was honest, but corrupted pretty soon after. Russell was indeed not the founder of the JW`s , if you compare what the bible students thaught and what the jw`s teach now you see that it is Rutherford not Russell.

greven.

"Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground."
    -from "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett-

• Gozz
    Gozz

And about 100 years later...

However, it may have seemed to some as though that path has not always gone straight forward. At times explanations given by [us] have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view. But this has not actually been the case. This might be compared to what is known in navigational circles as "tacking". By maneuvering the sails the sailors can cause a ship to go from right to left, back and forth, but all the time making progress toward their destination in spite of contrary winds. Watchtower December 1, 1981
    Exit brightness... Enter tacking...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit