At what age did you notice time went by so fast?

by adjusted knowledge 19 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I like so many Americans left my parent's house as soon as I could (age 19). I would see them maybe one or two times a year for the next ten years. When I hit thirty and got married it was even less frequent. However now that they are retired at sixty two and I had my daughter last year they visit monthly. I never really took the time because of work and just the busy life so many of us live to take notice of my parents. In the living room of my house I looked over at my father. Most of his hair is gone, his face has aged much in comparison to the man that raised me. Though retirement has done him good from his high stressed career, time has caught up with him. My mother too looks so tired and worned though she is only recently retired and I hope retirement will bring her some happiness; though she puts her hope in The Society.

It was then I got this idea to go to the bathroom and stare in the mirror. Really, I have never bothered to look in the mirror. It is just a passing glance to the shower or the occasional glance while brushing my teeth. Though I'm only thirty seven, the face staring back at me looks like a man well pass his mid-40's. My dark brown hair is streaked with grey, dark circles under my eyes, and the early stages of facial wrinkles.

I felt so much older and that my youth slipped away to a religion that didn't allow for a normal childhood. Though I felt a momentary anger at parents in the other room it soon passed as I heard my baby laughing. They bought into the lies and thought a promise of eternal life for their family appealing. Now nearing forty years later and we are all aging, and so many have passed away. I get a little sad when I have time to think about how short our lives are and is why perhaps I never took notice.

So when did you notice that you feel old or that life went by fast? I know with good health I should see another 40 or 50 years but that really isn't too far off.

• prologos
    prologos

ak. at some point we realize youth HAS slipped by and will not come back, wt writer's promisses notwithstanding.

reactions to it vary, look up mid-life crisis.

travel through time really speeds up past 80. Health and moods become a steeper rollercoaster ride with deeper lows.

look in the mirror only when well rested, I avoid it as much as possible, I prefer looking at my family instead , not just age, I would rate a 2 and on a good day they rate an 8+.

Our average age is 36 for a family of 4, perhaps

looking at young faces all he time makes, your own reflect that youngness?

stay young at heart, for aging is a heartless, unrelenting, accelerating process.

• cult classic
    cult classic

bump. don't have time to comment but this is a good post; others should see it.

will bb tmrw

• bobert
    bobert

Time's already going by pretty fast, and I'm 16. Only cause I'm locked up in my house and don't have much experiences in my life now :l

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Wow, that was fast!

Aging

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, not too many takers for this thread- stating the obvious & unwelcome facts of life! Time does seem to go faster - and here's a quote from Alvin Toffler's Future Shock that might explain it:

Older people are even more likely to react strongly against any further acceleration of change. There is a solid mathematical basis for the observation that age often correlates with conservatism: time passes more swiftly for the old.
    When a fifty-year-old father tells his fifteen-year-old son that he will have to wait two years before he can have a car of is own, that interval of 730 days represents a mere 4 per cent of the father's lifetime to date. It represents over 13 per cent of the boy's lifetime. It is hardly strange that to the boy the delay seems three or four times longer than to the father. Similarly, two hours in the life of a four-year-old may be the felt equivalent of twelve hours in the life of her twenty-four-year-old mother. Asking the child to wait two hours for a piece of candy may be the equivalent of asking the mother to wait fourteen hours for a cup of coffee.

There may be a biological basis as well, for such differences in subjective response to time. `With advancing age,' writes psychologist John Cohen of the University of Manchester, `the calendar years seem progressively to shrink. In retrospect every year seems shorter than the year just completed, possibly as a result of the gradual slowing down of metabolic processes.' In relation to the slowdown of their own biological rhythms, the world would appear to be moving faster to older people, even if it were not.

Most people probably notice themselves aging at the end of their 30's or the start of their 40's... I felt like I was god in my 30's- now I just feel like a collection of body parts- but such is life, lol.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Life is like a roll of toilet paper the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I started noticing when I hit 30 that years seemed to go by more quickly. When I woke up to TTATT at 38 it was a slap in the face. Almost half my life was gone and I was just beginning to have dreams and aspirations that we're once forbidden. As a single mom I will never have my PhD in genetic research like I want...I have a college bound daughter. My parents are aging unbelievably...as I watch. Painful. Now that I am 42 and fully cognizant of how time is passing oh so rapidly, I AM back in school to continue my education (I did go to college at 30) and I LOVE my life. 42="the answer to life, the universe and everything"-Hitchhiker''s Guide to the Galaxy

• cult classic
    cult classic

The summer I turned 30 I was like, "WOW! 30?!! That happened fast..." Then when I turned 40 I said, "wait a cotton-picking minute, this is getting ridiculous!" rofl

Having been born and bred in the cult just makes the reality harder to accept. We left when we were 36. So we were able to salvage some youthful energy and learn how to live a sane and balanced life. It's reality. It happens to everyone who is lucky enough. Here's to 50+ more healthy years. We hope.

I think it helps alot to listen to those who are ahead of you and learn good coping skills. I feel peaceful about aging right now.

lol james brown

• Terry
    Terry

iF YOU have been alive ten years, your concept of a lifetime=ten years.

If you live to be twenty, that original concept of time has been reduced by half, so--your sense of time speeds up by doubling.

Once you reach the age of thirty your entire lifetime, if measured by your first conception, has accelerated by a factor of 3/

By the time you reach the age of seventy, time seems to go faster than you can be aware of it.

When we are young, we have much idle time to simply sit and listen and look and think.

When I was a boy of five, a day could go on endlessly.

I'm now a 67 year old man and a week goes as fast as a day used to go.

As Einstein explained, our sense of how long things take is measured subjectively.

To a man sitting on a hot furnace, a minute can seem an eternity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit