out of date references at assembly

by purrpurr 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

At the last district convention I remember feeling really embarrassed by the out of date references made about wars and other issues. For instance, they talked about the hutus and tootises also the Serbs and Croatians when they talked about war. They also talked about Dr Spock telling people not to smack children. Every reference they made about the world outside was decades old. Nothing relevant or up to date, it was like the writers of the talks hadn't looked at the outside world for decades!? I was really embarrassed because I thought what would any interested ones in the audience think? Surely they could have referenced the modern day world? Even when the speakers talked about the jw.org website it done in a way that inferred it was just a silly new fangled modern thing that the youngsters were into.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

JW's being out of date should not surprise you. It's 2014 and they are just now embracing the internet. LOL

P.S. The JW idiot leadership still hasn't figured out how the modern invention of television could be beneficial in mass communication.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Recycling.

There is nobody up there that can pass for researchers or scholars anymore. The writing nowadays feels like they are writing for children.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I've noticed this too, purrpurr. Same references I've been hearing since I was a child.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No wonder they are worth skipping. I can get virtually every value online, with much less commitment. And not just their official web site, either.

I got online in 2006. And I confess I missed about 9 years of having Internet while it was mainstream (before 1997, Internet was far less common and required dial-up as broadband and cheap access to data was far less common). Even before then, I could have found information, though streaming videos and audio was not feasible then. But, waiting for 2014 and then claiming that their web site was better than Satan's Internet? What would their web site be without Satan's Internet? Joke-hova invented a puny web site--which is smaller than this forum. Satan invented the whole Internet--giving access to far better information.

And, why not try tying in the wars of the 1910s through the 1940s with the wars we have today? All the wars in the Middle East--are we really fighting Israel's wars (and earning a big fat energy crisis for doing so)? What about Israel striking schools and hospitals in Gaza? Can't they try to tie that in? I wonder how long it will take the washtowel to mention things like that instead of referencing things from back in the 1970s or before. And then, it is biased. At least online you can get both sides of the story--including information that Hitler was really in the right and that the "allied" side was fighting for communism. Here, you get it up to date, get all sides of these issues, and form (and adjust) your beliefs. There, you get one side, usually out of date and biased. And they expect me to donate funds, which I could be using to stash silver or start securing batteries and flashlights and chargers, for this biased and outdated (and often hateful) information?

• VM44
    VM44

From the Wikipedia.

Benjamin McLane Spock was an American pediatrician whose book Baby and Child Care, published in 1946, is one of the best-sellers of all time. Throughout its first 52 years, Baby and Child Care was the second-best-selling book, next to the Bible.

Born: May 2, 1903, New Haven, CT
    Died: March 15, 1998, La Jolla, San Diego, CA

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

@purrpurr there is a reason why they did refer to events like the genocide in Rwanda . Its documented in a report from a human rights organisation (African Rights) and reported to the Worldwide Council of Churches at their annual meeting that all christian denominations and religions were involved in the killing and genocide.. except for 1 religion.. Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit