Question to adult convertees

by expatbrit 16 Replies latest jw friends

• zev
    zev

expatbrit516,
    :I'm going through the forehead smacking phase of WT recovery.
    :How could I ever have believed this stuff? (smack!)
    :And for so long? (smack!)
    :Why didn't I investigate properly sooner? (smack! smack!)

I, like yourself, and so many others, have known nothing but, mother borg. I am only now after 30+ years, asking myself these very questions. While talking to somebody the other night, ( :) ) I said, I have had concerns and doubts for a long time. I have not investigated or pursued these doubts, as most of us are taught that to do so is a "bad thing". There is something that I have known is bothering me. I have not in many years been able to put a finger on it. I am only now starting my quest for truth. I have not done so much reading in years as I have in the last month. I am thirsty for knowledge. I cannot quench this thirst. I know someday soon, I will find what it is that disturbs me most and it will then be as plain as day. Until then I am reading, lurking looking, and studying. I will find it. The Truth is out there. And in the words of Mulder....
    trust no one :)

zev

__

• somebody
    somebody

Hi zev,

:While talking to somebody the other night, ( :) ) I said, I have had concerns and doubts for a long time. I have not investigated or pursued these doubts, as most of us are taught that to do so is a "bad thing". There is something that I have known is bothering me. I have not in many years been able to put a finger on it. I am only now starting my quest for truth.

well..I'm somebody, and I was talking to you the other night. :-)
    please don't lose track of God in your search. many have come out of the borg and gave the heave-ho to God. I can understand why they did, but I hope and pray you keep the faith.

stay here and let out your all! it's good for the soul..ask anyone here!

you know I love ya!

peace,
    somebody

Edited by - somebody on 22 February 2001 23:3:51

• Gozz
    Gozz

JT,

that was the feeling I got. All those things one's never seen before, or the pastors at church never bothered to mention, JWs did. It was irresistible not to see the ring of knowledge. But one gets worried about the past, our history. No attempt is made during study to update one with the history of the org, the development of the teachings. Whenever you read about 1919 and how true Christians were restored then, you get the idea that the current version of truth has been in circulation all the while.

Quote: WT March 1, 2001. Page 16, parag. 20
    After liberating his people from Babylon the Great in 1919, he set before them a victory banquet, an abundant supply of spiritual food. That was foretold at Isaiah 25:6...Through "the faithful and discreet slave", we are given everything we could ever need in a spiritual sense.

When you see the quality of what is termed spiritual food as served in 1919 and shortly after, you begin to wonder. truth becomes a function of time...Your statement about prophecies stand true, and I wish to add that proposing that prophecies have their "second fulfillment" is disturbing.

• anglise
    anglise

I was called on in the early '80s. I had 3 children under tha age of 5 and was naturally concerned for their future. The world at that time was pretty shaky - The cold war- aids etc- and these people showed me things from the bible that I had never seen and it all hung together or so it seemed. When we heard whispers about 1975 we asked questions but were told that nothing had really been said by the society and we in our ignorance and naiviety trusted them. Other than the usual "dont trust those JW's they dont believe the trinity" arguments nobody told us anything. We came into the truth as a family even though we had questions we were told they would all become clearer as time went on. They didnt. We stayed for 19 years.
    Husband became an elder and we were to all intents were totally immersed in it even though we could see the hypocrisy and lack of love with most elders in the local congs. We thought by staying we might get people to change and show real love and care for each other, show that individuals should count more than numbers and hours. It didnt work. We became more and more disillusioned. We saw through time how the WT would contradict itself. You would be schizophrenic trying to follow all their rules, ie quality time and recreation with your family against pioneering, quick builds and can you do more!!!
    During the last few years we would spend more and more time just talking to those who had been hurt by unkind and thoughtless elders, the type who give SUITABLE!!?? WT mags to sisters in divided homes who had just missed a very occasional meeting, but were otherwise very loyal. Husband as an elder would talk to fellow elders about such unkind and unnecessary treatment but all to no avail. He even had to persuade a sister whose husband was dying that it was all right that her field service was slipping whilst she nursed him through his final days. Her husband wasnt a JW so to others he didnt count. We are slipping away from the org. We saw its faults hopefully not too late. The internet backed up our feelings and supplied all the evidence we needed to make a well informed and balanced decision about the society. Hope this isnt too long and boring.

• Latte
    Latte

Anglise

Just thought I'd say hi to you, as your from the uk.

I enjoyed your post, I can relate to some of it. I have a friend who's husband is one of the nicest elders I know, I hope that they will one day have time to sit and talk, as you have done...and begin to question.

It takes a lot of courage, and honest heartedness to withdraw. I wish you well, as you 'slip away' from the org. Stick around here, you get lot's of support, and advice.

I'm in the UK also!

Take care

Latte

• anglise
    anglise

Hi Latte
    thanks for taking the time to read it all. Are you in or out the org?

• Latte
    Latte

Anglise,

Please check you e-mail.

Would love to chat, if not tonigh, def some other time.

Latte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit