why Jehovah's witnesses? not yaweh witnesses?

by purrpurr 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DocHouse
    DocHouse

Yes, Shirley- I am a JW.

"Jah" has long been the abbreviated form of Jehovah. As Yah is of Yahweh.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Doc House: Yes, Shirley- I am a JW.

I'm curious: why do you argue for the Watchtower when you don't even follow their mandate to stay away from "apostate" websites?

This is the hypocrisy of JWs like yourself. You argue for the rightness of WT and condemn anyone who disagrees with their theology, yet you yourself ignore their counsel when obeying it is inconvenient.

Why should I, or anyone else here, take you seriously or listen to anything you have to say????

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Why not Yehoshua instead of Jesus.

Jesus is not two words joined together at a later time - the consonants of "Yahweh" and pronounced with the vowels of "Adonai".

So it's different.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The proper name would be a combination of El and Baal Hadad, so I don't know ElHadad.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yahweh has already been appropriated, so the WT/JW'sJW.org are too late, there are a number, like the Church of Yahweh who use and prefer a more Hebrew sounding name.

YW.Org, now, has anyone got that yet as a Domain Name/Logo ? might be a battle for that one in the future.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

It is true that no one can be completely certain of the original pronunciation.. However there are some important differences between the 2 names.

The largest difference in my view is the "hey" Or the H in YHWH. Hebrew words and Letters all have intrinsic meanings and symbolism's, some of the meanings and representations of "Hey" are..

"Hey represents the divine breath, revelation, and light (the word "light" is mentioned five times on the first day of creation (Gen. 1:3-4)"

Hey represents Gods creative power .. " In the Talmud (Menachot 29b) it is said that the "breath of His mouth" refers to the sound of the letter Hey - the outbreathing of Spirit."

"Hey functions as the definite article in Hebrew, a sort of demonstrative that points to the object and makes it concrete and definite."

The ancient Semitic pictographic version of "Hey" looked like a Man with his arms reaching to Heaven, or in a stance of praise and thanks..

By removing the Hey and the 2 other letters You take away any Living characteristics or symbols from the name.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Why not Yehoshua instead of Jesus.

And I say why not ? If that is what his name was .

smiddy

• trebor
    trebor

Since “many prefer” Jehovah over Yahweh, the Watchtower Society has stuck with Jehovah as the official name. This is in spite of the fact that Yahweh is closer to the original pronunciation, which has been admitted by the organization.

All above points are gathered from the "Divine Name That Will Endure Forever" brochure, put out by the Watchtower Society several years ago, but out of circulation/print for a while now.

Additionally, according to Insight on the Scriptures Volume 2, page 5 under the heading, 'Jehovah' the following is stated:

"Correct Pronunciation of the Divine Name. “Jehovah” is the best known English pronunciation of the divine name, although “Yahweh” is favored by most Hebrew scholars."

More details here: http://savedfromthewatchtower.blogspot.com/2010/03/gods-name.html

• prologos
    prologos

most are so tired,

YAWN witnisses

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

WT just wanted to "stick it" to the Hebrew scholars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit